Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 AM  
Traveler

Fredericksburg, VA
Fun outdoor game!!!

Not sure if many have heard about it but Geocaching is a fun family oriented game that doesn't cost much to get into (Cost of hand held GPS or geocaching app for blackberry or iphone).

Geocaching simply put is "Using multi-billion dollar government technology to look for $1.98 tupperware in the woods".

What we do is hide small items from the size of a thumbnail to the size of a 5gal bucket or larger in places. Could be anywhere from the side of a building to a fake stump in the woods. The most popular containers are old military ammo cans of all sizes as they are sealed and offer good protection and come painted OD Green.

Many are called in plane sight cache where they are camouflaged to blend in to the surroundings. Some you have to do specific things to get the cache. There are even some hidden in the middle of lakes and rivers.

The caches are ranked by terrain and how well hidden they are. A cache that is a 1 terrain and 1 hide difficulty can be accessed by wheelchairs and strollers. A 5 terrain requires special equipment like 4x4 vehicles or it may require you to climb the side of a mountain or repel down a cliff of it may require you to scuba dive for it in a body of water. A 5 in the hide difficulty means it may take you a few hours to find it.

Caches are hidden from California to Main and in just about every country around the world.

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site is the main web site for geocaching and has all cache placements located on the site. You do have to be a member to view them. There are two levers regular and premium members Regular membership is FREE but you some times miss out on premium member only caches. Premium membership is not expensive at all at $30 a year. Even if you don't like going in the woods there are tons of urban caches in every city in the country.

Great intro video series.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Good info, thanks! I know a few people into this and they have a blast!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
ANyone who like to be outdoors and like to search and find should give this a try. It is so much fun it should be illegal. If we are not careful the democraps will make it that way because we all know they are antifun.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM  

Antioch, TN
My family and I have a blast geocaching. The boys (5 & 8) even keep small bags with trinkits in it to trade out. The Boy Scouts of America has also done a large program called "Get in the Game" to teach the boys about caching as well as highlight Eagle Scout projects. Highly recommend this. Go on to geocaching.com and you'll be surprised when you map out your place and see how many are close to your house/business.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
I was invited to teach a geocaching class to a group of girl scouts but had to hand it over to a more experienced cacher in my area.

I almost have more fun reading the logs on my caches.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 PM  

ottawa, ont
It's a fun activity that can be done almost anywhere! Makes for a great way to become acquainted with a new locale!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads