Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Tiger

Ok, Tiger cheats, admits it and gets a 2 stroke penalty. Every other golfer who has ever got caught violating the same rule has been DQed. Guess TV ratings this weekend mean more than integrity. I bet if it had been, Watson, Nicklaus or Palmer, they would have WD.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 PM  

I actually was watching the golf tournament yesterday when the infraction occurred. Even the announcers stated what Tiger did was the proper procedure, but apparently this violation was only set in place in 2009, and had never been put to the test until it happened with Tiger.

Yep, I've been watching Tiger for quite a few years now, and proud to say that my father was his first sponsor when Tiger was only 4 years old.
Tiger-dad-018.jpg 

Old 04-13-2013, 10:12 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Actually Nick Faldo said it was a rules violation that led to Tiger signing an incorrect scorecard. Signing an incorrect scorecard has always been punished by a DQ. But, they need Woods for ratings.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM  

No doubt that Tiger is a big draw for all involved.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 PM  

Keeping in mind that these same officials who imposed Tiger's penalty also imposed a one shot penalty to a 14 year old for playing too slow. That is a tragedy IMHO.

AUGUSTA, Ga. - Eight-grader Tianlang Guan took a deep breath, exhaled and tried to explain what happened on the 17 th hole at the Masters to dozens of reporters.

There's no reasonable explanation for the slow-play penalty he was assessed on the fairway at Augusta National, but like everything else he's done all week he did it with class and poise.

A 14-year-old was left to make logic of an illogical debacle and handled it well.

"I respect the decision they made," Guan said.

Guan shot a 3-over-75 in Friday's second round, but that turned into a 4-over 76 after the penalty. Amazingly, he just made the cut on the number at 4-over 148.

There is justice on these hallowed grounds.

Guan's slow-play penalty was believed to be the first in Masters history.

"They just don't go around handing out one-shot penalties here," said Fred Couples, who is tied for second, one shot behind leader Jason Day.

And a rules official targets a 14-year-old amateur to make an issue of slow play in golf?

What a shame.

Remarkably, there's a good end to this story.

Guan, teetering on the cut line for some six hours after his round, became the youngest player to make the cut.

The teenager from China already was admired for his play that included a practice round with Tiger Woods and his willingness to embrace a media contingent from around the world.

"I don't think I'm too bad," Guan said with his father, surely proud, standing nearby.

The drama that unfolded after Guan finished his round was palpable. The world watched as Day and Tiger Woods navigated the back nine, collectively hoping neither got to 7 under, which would have put Guan on the outside.

The top 50 and ties and those within 10 strokes of the lead make the cut.

When Day parred the 18 th for a 68 and 6-under 138 for the tournament, Guan was in.

"He had a penalty for slow play?" Day said. "Wow."

Day said he played a six-hour round, and with Friday's swirling winds it's not hard to believe.

"I felt like I played pretty slow out there today," Day said. "But we couldn't go any faster than the guys in front, and they weren't too far ahead of us.

"When it means everything to you, you're going to try and do the best you can to play well. And whether that makes you, you know, weigh or discuss 10 seconds more or 20 seconds more on a shot, you're going to do it."

Day is in contention to win the Masters and Guan is not. But every shot means the world to Guan as well, even though he won't be taking home a green jacket.

Assessing slow-play penalties is rare in golf. To penalize an eighth-grader navigating Augusta National for the first time is beyond the spirit of the rules.

It's as annoying as basketball officials calling fouls in the final seconds of a tied basketball game, which is then decided at the free-throw line.

Let them play.

And Guan will play, too.

Guan waited about 90 minutes before addressing reporters. He was unemotional, although much time had passed since the decision that had to rattle him or any player twice his age.

Imagine if he missed the cut by one shot.

Guan handled the situation gracefully.

"If I can make it, I'm really grateful," Guan said. "I'm happy if not.

"It was still a great week."

The Masters has been big in helping grow the game of golf in Asia and was instrumental in creating the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship, which Guan won to earn an automatic qualifying spot in the Masters.

Rules official John Paramor was asked if he felt badly about making an example out of a 14-year-old at the Masters and said: "It's the Masters.

"The Masters is a competition."

This wasn't about the spirit of the game.

"This isn't going to end up pretty, I don't think," said Guan's playing partner Ben Crenshaw, who spoke long before it was official that Guan made the cut. "I'm sick. I'm sick for him. He's 14 years old.

"When you get the wind blowing out here, believe me, you're going to change your mind a lot (on clubs)."

Despite the controversy, Guan still will be playing in the Masters this weekend.

"I think it's still a great week for me with everything I've learned so far," Guan said "I learned a lot."

Life isn't fair, but there is justice at Augusta.
read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_2301396...#ixzz2QPShreIx
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
And Tiger should have been more aware of the rules than a 14 year old.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 PM  

Montreal
By his medical problems i'd say Tigers career as a golfer are over..
He was pretty good and had a great run.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
One of the best golfer's ever. But if you read the stuff from people who knew him, not much of a person.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 AM  

Nevada
Few people understand just how demanding golf is at a professional level.

It's hard to find any pro that doesn't have some kind of physical or emotional problem. And, when anyone becomes so dedicated to one specific goal, anyone outside of that spehere doesn't understand.

It Tiger's career through? Time will tell. Perhaps he'll take the full amount of time needed to heal and repair his body. And then, if he still has the same focus, he just might continue to be where he once was.

But, if nothing else, he forced a whole new generation of golfers to focus on their physical and emotional strengths and we're seeing a whole new level of golf being played.

Average drives in excess of 320 yards! You gotta be kidding me!
Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 AM  

Montreal
Just read Woods is out till December. IMO Tigers golf dynasty is over.

Quote:
Woods said he would not return until his World Challenge in Orlando, Florida, the first week of December

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Bookmark this Page!