Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2010, 08:16 AM  

affton, missouri
Why is there always traffic on 270?

So I've been living in STL for about 18 months, and I feel like no matter what time of day it is, there is traffic on 270! GRRRRRRRRrrr.......

Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 AM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Because STL has no idea what Mass Transit is or how it can help. Basically you gotta time your route. Morning and evening....horrible. Dougherty Ferry for some reason always gets slow. Sorry, but that is it until STL agrees on the sending the Metro Link to St. Charles, and South County, and so forth....makes sense to do it.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 AM  

Austin, Texas
Mass transit does not work to deter traffic, and in fact often makes traffic worse. Also, those who generally take mass transit dont pay the cost of the transit, while those who pay often dont take it.

270 is a problem because of the speed limits, variable or otherwise. Some people are going to drive 70 no matter what, while others are going to drive the posted limit to avoid tickets.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 AM  
CB4

St. Louis, MO
I've been driving 270 from 30 to Olive every morning and evening for 8 years now. It is the worst highway....if someone sneezes sideways it gets backed up.

Timing your commute is definitely the key. If you can wait until after 9am and after 6pm, it's much better.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 PM  

affton, missouri
Yeah...I live in south county...where 270 hits 55...and i work where 270 hits 70...I was going to work an hour early to avoid traffic and sitting at a local bar if I got out early to wait for it to die down....now I just take 55 through the city to 70...it is a longer drive, but never any traffice no matter when I drive it.....
Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM  

STL, MO
Long time Metro St. Louis Resident here.

Many of the problems on I270 come from a particular driver that I've christened the "Illiannoyis." Barreling out of the plains of Illinois, tearing across the river, careening back and forth between lanes, the Illiannoyis driver is the single most prevalent cause of accidents and slowdowns on I270.

Next time you have to pass an accident on 270, especially 270 in N. County, notice that there is almost always a Illinois plate involved.

If you doubt that the Illiannoyis aren't the major cause of 270 problems, notice the next time on of them fouls up a Mississippi river crossing with an accident on the Chain of Rocks or Jefferson Barracks Bridge. Your commute will become much more relaxed with just the usually decent, responsible, Missouri commuters.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 PM  

Rural STL, MO
270 has always been horrendous.

two solutions:

-finish an addition to the 170 Innerbelt connecting South County
-1 additional "fast" lane (barricaded) each way that only exits/enters at 55 and 70, sort of like an express lane.

and yes, IL side drivers are horrrrrrrrrible.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM  

Saint Louis, MO
Part of the problem is drivers not using lanes properly. You know, like keeping right unless passing and also not using the merge lanes/ramps the way a driver is supposed to. I'm sure you have seen the people the either try to change/merge into the traffic flow AS SOON AS the ramp enters the highway, even though they may have a 1/4 to 1/2 mile to blend in OR they wait until the lanes ends and/or exits the highway and THEN decide to jump into traffic flow. All that does is accordian the traffic flow already on the hightway.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM  

St. Louis, Illinois
Conversely, those of us from Illinois have similar feelings toward Missouri drivers. LOL!

Honestly, though, I don't know that the state has so much to do with it as the individual behind the wheel. It's getting worse and worse because people are paying less and less attention. I come into Missouri from the Alton side....down 67 South, and bypass 270 altogether to get to work (North County). I abhor 270....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM  

Try living in Los Angeles for a while. As a long-time resident of St Louis that also spent 7 years in LA traffic, I can say with confidence that 270's not nearly as bad as some.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Bookmark this Page!