Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 PM  

Titusville, FL
Cigar City Brewing may lose their tasting room...they need your help

Quote:
255: The Tasting Room Needs Your Help Again.
Last Thursday we went to get our temporary wet-zoning made permanent and to extend our hours of operation. Since we have operated for two years without incident this should have been a rubber stamp. But, due to politics, a willful lack of understanding and what I personally believe is just a downright embracing of unfair practices, we got a 3-3 vote (you need 4 yes votes) and had to reschedule.

Our next trip in front of the Tampa City Council will be December 2nd. My birthday. We need 4 votes at this meeting and a following one or we lose our wet-zoning on the 16th of December. This means no more Tasting Room, no more special events, no more limited release parties, no beer for sell, at all, at the Tasting Room.

We have had no incidents at the Tasting Room. There has never been a police call for the brewery. We have never been cited for any violations. In short, we have shown, through our actions not our words, that we are a responsible business and neighbor. And oh by the way, while the economy has been stumbling along we have gone from 2 employees to 22. And some of those employees are in danger of losing their jobs because some members on the city council lack leadership and critical reasoning skills.

I don't know if we can change any minds. Some bias runs too deep. But I am humbly asking of everyone that supports craft beer in the Bay Area to help us. If you ever wondered why Florida is often considered a beer wasteland, dealing with provincial politicians and unfair laws is one of the reasons. And we have run headlong into that fact many times. This is just another iteration of the climate breweries have to operate in here.

This is what you can do to try to help. Contact ALL of the members of City Council. If you live in the city and vote, tell them so. If you live outside the city or the state, tell them Cigar City Brewing is one of the reasons you come into the city to spend money. In short, let the council know that Tampa having a craft beer scene is important to you. Handwritten letters (addresses are int he links) are always more personal, but if you simply do not have time there is an online contact for each member. And there is a phone # for each member as well. Feel free to call and let the members know that CCB and craft beer are important to you.

These are the three members of Council who voted against us.

Gwen Miller
Thomas Scott
Curtis Stokes

These are those Council members who voted for us, let them know that you appreciate that they looked at evidence and fact and were not swayed by unsubstantiated claims.

Mary Mulhern
Yvonne Yoli Capin
Joseph Caetano

Finally, the member who was absent. Let Charlie Miranda know you support CCB and craft beer and are counting on his yes vote on December 2nd.

Charlie Miranda

I want to thank everyone for their support. When I look back at the last two years and see the growth we have had it both amazes and humbles me. And I know that any success we have had is due to our loyal supporters who buy our beer and spread the word to others. We appreciate and value that support and regret that we must lean on you again, but we truly do need your help again desperately.

Cheers,
The CCB Staff and Joey Redner
The info came from this link:
Welcome to Cigar City Beer in Tampa Florida

The Council must not realize just what an asset they have with Cigar City. CCB has helped place Florida on the map when it comes to top notch craft beer. They are rated as the 3rd best beer on ratebeer.com
ratebeer best 2010

Beer geeks like myself make trips across the state specifically for CCB. Sometimes it is a grab and go with growlers and other times it is for an overnight stay. In addition to my money going to CCB, I buy food, shop, gas, lodging, etc.

If CCB loses their tasting room, I will have no cause to frequent that area.

Please take a moment to send letters to the Council stating reasons for them to reconsider their votes. They only have until December 2nd.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 AM  

Deland, Florida
Emails sent, and thanks for bringing this up.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM  

Tampa, Florida
I will be sending a written letter because I have never even been to the tasting room and it sounds wonderful!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM  

Tampa, Fl
Letters sent to every council member. Denial of this is totally ridiculous.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 PM  

Tampa, FL
I will be emailing all city council members. In the down economy we are in a blow like this to a craft brewery is a bad game plan for tampa because Craft brewing is growing inspite of the economy.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:40 PM  

Tampa, Fl
Do it. PM me with your email and I will forward you the letter templated I sent. ...if I can find them.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 AM  

tampa, fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzman View Post
The Council must not realize just what an asset they have with Cigar City.
this is interesting that the neighbors are complaining about an adult (as in not rowdy) responsible business that is an asset to the community, while behind them, literally a stone's throw away, is the dale mabry strip with all the titty bars.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 AM  

Titusville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
this is interesting that the neighbors are complaining about an adult (as in not rowdy) responsible business that is an asset to the community, while behind them, literally a stone's throw away, is the dale mabry strip with all the titty bars.
I heard a rumor that the vote to close the tasting room is a political move that is actually directed at one of those titty bars. I'll won't elaborate on the details as I have no fact.

About 7 years ago I got Popeye's drive thru with my son and paid with a $50 bill, the only money I had. When I got home I realized I was given the change for a $20, my fault for not counting when I received change I suppose. I called that branch and corporate in an attempt to get my $30+ back. They admitted that the cashier was elderly and "didn't see too well." However, they would not give my money back and merely offered me two free meals. I told them that I would never go back to any Popeye's...and never have. I never will.

There was an ice cream shop in town that was a local favorite. It was a small family owned place that had been there as long as I could remember. Probably 5-6 years ago an ice cream chain opened up a few blocks down the road, thus putting mom and pop out of business. I have never and will never give that chain my business.

Truth to the rumor or not, if council forces CC to close their tasting room, Tampa/St. Pete will never see a dollar of my money again. CC and concerts are literally the only reasons why I drive 2 hours semi-regularly across the state. If CC closes, I'll head south for concerts and in other directions to visit breweries. I've got enough theme parks in Orlando that I'll never justify the drive to Busch Gardens. Gone will be my money for dining out, shopping, hotel, etc. while visiting that area.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM  

Naples, FL
Direct link to original post for easy access to Council members pages.

Also, council meeting is tomorrow (Dec 2nd) if anyone can make it.

Quote:
259: City Council Meeting Info
For anyone planning to attend the City Council meeting where the wet-zoning for the Cigar City Brewing Tasting Room will be voted on this is the pertinent information.

Date: Thursday December 2nd
Time: 10:30 AM
City Hall, 3rd Floor
Tampa, FL 33602

This is a public meeting so anyone may attend and speak if they so choose or just attend to show support. We encourage everyone that has the time to attend. Thanks again for the overwhelming support and well wishes. Win or lose we are humbled by the support from the community and beyond.

Cheers,
Joey Redner and the CCB Staff
Old 12-02-2010, 05:22 PM  

Temple, TX
Anyone know the outcome of this vote yet? Hoping for some good news.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Bookmark this Page!