Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM  

Dade City, FL
I've like both Dunderbaks and Tampa Bay Brewing. Cigar City sounds interesting will have to check them out.

Don't remember much besides Guinness and Smithwick's but I've always enjoyed Four Green Fields too.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 AM  

Tampa, FL
Don't forget the Dunedin House of Beer. They also just opened another location in Palm Harbour. Great staff and a killer selection (40 taps). I've been going there since it opened and love it.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM  

Tampa, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjonson View Post
I was actually thinking about joining this club. What do they do on a typical meeting?
I've been a member since July this year and the meetings all follow a similar format. The club meets on the first Tuesday of every month and on the third Tuesday they have an in club tasting/competition for the selected beer style of the month. At the first Tuesday meeting we talk about upcoming homebrewing events and competitions and then hand out awards/prizes from the last competition. Sometimes the guys from Southern Brewing Supplies we talk about any specials they have. Some local commercial brewers come to the meetings (e.g. Cigar City and St. Elsewhere). Club business usually lasts about 10-15 min and the rest of the evening you get up sample beers from the members, talk about brewing (i.e. styles and tecnhniques). As a newbie it's really cool to talk to folks that have been brewing for a long time, you get a lot of ideas and suggestions to improve your beers. It also helps tha a couple of the members are also Master Beer Judges. It's all very casual. I'm glad I joined. Their website is : http://www.tampabaybeers.org/
Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 PM  

Tampa, Florida
A year ago the only place to get a Craft Beer in the New Tampa area was the Brass Tap at Wiregrass Mall in Wesley Chapel (BBD and SR56). They have 40 beers on tap and 100's in bottles, no food service. Then about a year ago World of Beer opened at BBD and I-75, also 40 taps and 100's of bottles, with some bar snacks. The prices are about the same. Both have 2-4-1 specials on selected beers on selected nights, Ladies nights, live music on some nights -both very similar. I prefer the Brass Tap, as it's slightly bigger and they have a better selection of nearby restaurants to get food from and I'd say a friendlier wait staff.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 PM  

santa cruz, CA
I'm heading to Tampa to visit my folks and other family before Christmas. My bro-in-law and nephews have recently become home brewers (following my lead!) and I'll get some excellent local beer at their place. But I'll check out these other recommendations, too. Dunedin and Brass Tap--I'm there!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 AM  

Tampa, FL
If you want a great place to buy beer to take home too check out Kingdom Liquors in Brandon. The owner and his wife are great and are a wealth of knowledge in beer and wine. They have tastings all the time and are all around great people. It's always nice when you walk in on your second visit and they remember you and your tastes (I swear they take notes when you leave, I don't know how they do it). Every time I go there I end up hanging out just talking about beer and wine for a couple of hours.

I may try to join a club soon too, I'd love to meet some people to talk about good beers and wines as opposed to the BMC crap all my friends drink. It would be nice to make some non-work friends too.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM  

It depends on what kind of beer I am in the mood for but Datz has a great selection (40 taps and many bottles) and great food. Pour House also has a great selection of craft beer.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 PM  

Florida
Cigar City, WOB, Independent, and Willards Tap House in Largo is really nice.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 PM  

Tampa, FL
I'm a big fan of Brass Tap, WOB (both in New Tampa and Westchase), as well as Datz in S. Tampa. Sadly I've never been to Cigar City's tasting room but that's mainly because I'm still fairly new in town and just haven't made it there yet. I also enjoy grabbing a beer at Primebar in the Wiregrass Mall as well, they have a bunch of crap beers but they also have a few good selections (i.e. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA) and during happy hour they're only $3 for a pint, which is pretty good if you ask me.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 AM  

Tampa, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruderman View Post
I've been a member since July this year and the meetings all follow a similar format. The club meets on the first Tuesday of every month and on the third Tuesday they have an in club tasting/competition for the selected beer style of the month. At the first Tuesday meeting we talk about upcoming homebrewing events and competitions and then hand out awards/prizes from the last competition. Sometimes the guys from Southern Brewing Supplies we talk about any specials they have. Some local commercial brewers come to the meetings (e.g. Cigar City and St. Elsewhere). Club business usually lasts about 10-15 min and the rest of the evening you get up sample beers from the members, talk about brewing (i.e. styles and tecnhniques). As a newbie it's really cool to talk to folks that have been brewing for a long time, you get a lot of ideas and suggestions to improve your beers. It also helps tha a couple of the members are also Master Beer Judges. It's all very casual. I'm glad I joined. Their website is : Tampa Bay B.E.E.R.S.
This sounds great I think I will try to attend the first meeting in january. My first beer has been in the bottles for A week and a half. It is starting to taste pretty good.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads