Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Amazon Kindle

Hey guys! Just thinking of going to pick up an Amazon Kindle this weekend, and thought I'd see if anyone on here has one and could give me some insight into it! I do have a few questions...

- Overall, do you like it?

- Do you think it's worth it to get the one that's 3G enabled, or do you normally use it just with a wifi connection anyways?

If anyone else has another digital reader (ie sony, etc.) let me know how you like those, too! Thanks!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
my dad doesnt even walk into his kitchen without his kindle. wouldnt a 3g kindle require a service plan with a cell phone carrier?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:59 PM  

Willis, Texas
Very shortly, before xmas, there will be SEVERAL good reader options out there.

As far as getting one with 3G, same your money and use wifi. Too many free wifi spots out there not to take advantage of.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
my dad doesnt even walk into his kitchen without his kindle. wouldnt a 3g kindle require a service plan with a cell phone carrier?
Negative - kindles come with free lifetime 3G coverage! Don't ask me how they do it, because I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knack View Post
Very shortly, before xmas, there will be SEVERAL good reader options out there.

As far as getting one with 3G, same your money and use wifi. Too many free wifi spots out there not to take advantage of.
Yeah, I know - I just don't have wireless in my house. Yes I'm old school. So I'm considering the cost of adding a Wi-Fi router or just getting the one with 3G and be able to use it, say, on the beach.

However, you only need the connection when actually downloading books. As I'm not a super speed-reader, I bet I'll just be able to download movies at home, and not really need the on-the-go 3G.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 PM  

Washington DC, Washington DC
I don't have a Kindle, but I bought a Nook instead. Nooks allow one to import epubs directly without conversion. (The popular format for project gutenberg Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader) The touchscreen is nice, gives it a cleaner feel than seeing lots of buttons.

As far as the lifetime 3g on the kindle isn't that just for downloading books or does the web browser also work?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 AM  

Syracuse, NY
I do not go anywhere without my kindle! I don't know how I lived without it. I travel often and it's very seldom that I can't get a connection to download my content. My husband was so impressed with it that he asked for (and received) one for his birthday.

I'm an avid reader and it's nice to not have books piled up all around the house. It's also got a web browser and I can download documents into it, like my address book. That's really convenient since I always have it with me.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:03 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Slagersan, how do you feel about the price of the books? Yesterday was the first day that I actually had a chance to try out a display with 3G to check out some book prices, and they seemed a little more pricey than I had thought. Being someone who's probably bought a good amount of books, how do you feel about it?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:59 PM  

I dont know if I like those things. I dont personally own one, but ive used a friends of mine before, and it just seems strange reading a novel on a little screen.

I personally love real books. I love the feel of a real book in my hands, and everything about them. They are also kind of like trophies. I got quite a big library of books growing on my shelves, and im proud of them. Haha they look impressive.

There is just something unnatural about the Kindle. Although Im attracted to the price. $150 bucks and comes pre loaded with 100 classics and 2 best sellers of your choice. pretty sweet deal
Old 11-26-2010, 07:08 AM  

Syracuse, NY
The prices do vary. But, whereas you can pay as much as 19.99 for some (Just paid that for Atlas Shrugged), most of the classics are free. Newbie writers works are free. Trashy novels are around 3 to 4 bucks. The new releases will run around 10 - 15 bucks, but look what you pay for the actual book.......

I too have quite the impressive library, but unfortunately I've run out of room, even after going through and weeding some out. I probably read about 30 or so books a month. I have to say the library is going to miss seeing me coming in the door with my boxes of books. I do love "real" books and still buy ones that I'd like to keep in my own library. I collect certain authors and biographies, so I will continue to buy real books as long as they are available.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 AM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Sir; here is a most interesting site. Visit? before you move on

10 reasons to buy a Kindle 2… and 10 reasons not to

I enjoy reading; finding ''new'' stuff to read about. a lady friend; has the e-reader. Maybe?

The Mac I-Pad; may come closer to filling my ''want''; I haven't interest in watching movies; only looking to obtain the better value for needs

"We have never seen anything like this.? Mark 2:12

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!