Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 AM  

Cell Phone Revisited

Years ago I quit Vz due ro a serious disagreement. It seems that I had an analog phone for several years and my plan had become obsolete. Vz didn't tell me it was obsolete until I made a trip within my zone and eaxperienced roaming. Vz did remove roaming charges but refused to give me a phone on a digital plan.

I have saved several thousand dollars over the years by not having a cell but now need one due to my wife's health. Since i don't know how many minutes I need most plans are not attractive to me. In my area Vz is the only carrier that reaches into almost every nook and cranny of these hills so a throwaway or prepaid is not an option and I don't want Vz customer service ever again.

The good news is that I have found a small company that uses Vz towers and promises to add a $5 per month plan with 2 cents per minute for talk, text or per megabyte of data. Since I don't plan to text or do data this seems good for me. If I find that my usage is high enough that another plan is more economical for me I can go online to my customer portal and change it for the next month.

But the plus is that unlike Vz customer service is both polite and compassioate. In fact at the present the principal in the company is answering emails and posting in the company forums.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM  

The cell phone plan is nearing being offered, it will be $4 per month for the line with usage charges of 2cents/min, 1 cent/msg and 3.5 cents/megabyte of data.

The $4 seems attractive for a backup or emergency phone as well as for those who don't surf or text all the time. It will be offered on Puppy Wireless probably next week.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
I use a tracfone, costs $20 every three months.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 PM  

The plan I was waiting for never materialized due to contract specifics between the MVNO and the carrier. However a plan emerged that fits my needs even better. It's an $80 per year PayGo (3G CDMA only) with $.04 rates for minutes, SMS and MB of data. Any unused portion of the $80 expires after one year but if used up early can be renewed for $80 starting a new year at that point. For my usage it is near perfect as that's only $6.67 per month for an average of 166 minutes. So the plan for me is basically $80 for 2000 minutes used however I please since I don't text or use data.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:33 PM  

Puppy Wireless was purchased by UNSI and for me there were some pluses. It seems that the $80 plan in reality purchases a setting with a bucket of money to pay for usage. All billings are at overage rates which are quite reasonable. In my case I only use a flip phone for talk only and the overage rate is .015 per minute which means my $80 covers over 5000 minutes per year. When I renewed for another year I show a balance of $60+ in my account which can be used to purchase additional packets of minutes. So I now plan to use Puppy for all my long distance calling and will still fare better than those by the month plans.

An unofficial forum for Puppy and other MVNOs can be found here; http://micallen.freeforums.org/mvno-s-f3.html

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!