Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 AM  
fustrated genius

Cell Phones

My wife recently signed us up for two years with a cell phone carrier that is one of the few in my area that gets reception. (that's IF you stand on your tippy toes in the corner of a certain room and the wind's not blowing) We opted for this because it's cheaper than the pay as you go ones and they offered "free" phones with the service and what the heck, I'm too dumb for for one of those expensive "smart phones" anyways. Well, the batteries go dead real quick and if you forget to plug the sucker in one night, you can forget about using it the next day. So I asked my son about his wammer-dammer slicker that snot I-phone/pod thing he paid a fortune for and his is the same old way. I was beginning to think you get what you pay for but guess not in this case. His is cheese too. I suppose it's like when my 22 dollar Timex had the same time as his 675 dollar wammer-dammer watch.

Anybody else thing these cell phone batteries are weak?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM  

I have found when the phone jumps from local to roam, it will suck the juice out of a cell phone battery quickly. The same occurs with a smart phone if you use navigation and forget to disconnect that app after you have arrived at your destination.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 AM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I have found when the phone jumps from local to roam, it will suck the juice out of a cell phone battery quickly. The same occurs with a smart phone if you use navigation and forget to disconnect that app after you have arrived at your destination.
Excellent point, it would be on "roam" almost constantly out here.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:41 AM  

My phone does the same when I'm out at Lake Havasu. it gets annoying!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
I buy the oversize batteries for my cell phone when I get them new. I travel alot including overseas and get into alot of ROAM areas which suck up battery life pretty quick. I can get 4 or so days cell phone use without recharging using the oversize battery. The kit for the battery includes a new cover sized to fit over the bigger battery and of course the battery. I believe the last one I bought a couple of years ago cost about $ 70.00. Well worth it for the elimination of the frustration factor.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
I buy the oversize batteries for my cell phone when I get them new. I travel alot including overseas and get into alot of ROAM areas which suck up battery life pretty quick. I can get 4 or so days cell phone use without recharging using the oversize battery. The kit for the battery includes a new cover sized to fit over the bigger battery and of course the battery. I believe the last one I bought a couple of years ago cost about $ 70.00. Well worth it for the elimination of the frustration factor.
Ah, I'll check that out, my problem is that I live about an hour out from the nearest town and the nearest cell tower is pretty much out of range so as soon as I turn it on, it's roaming.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:11 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Android phones have a piss poor (At best battery life). I just plug it into my work computer during the day as I work in a building that if you sit next to a window you are fine if you are in the middle of the building you have nothing.

I found that it gets better when I turn off the wifi on my phone as it will keep searching for and trying to connect to a wifi signal. Also if your phone goes into and out of service area it is always searching for a signal and this will just more battery life than just sitting connected to the network.

The oversized battery is good if it is offered for your phone. I had an old Samsung blackjack with a standard battery and a double battery. It was ok but also made the phone much thicker and heavier.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 AM  

O'Fallon, IL
I will repeat what mrmurdoc said, if your phone has wifi or bluetooth, disable those features as they will suck the life out of your battery. When they are enabled, they are constantly looking for a connection, thus using more juice.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM  

Houston, Texas
On my iPhone I turn off 3G unless I need it. Saves the battery a little.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!