Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2011, 04:20 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Computer Q and A

I know it is not just me that is a tech guy there are a few of us.

So don't be afraid post of computer questions and we will try our best to answer them. No question is dumb unless it is unasked.

So fire away.....

Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 PM  

Thanks for this!

I'm running Window 7, but recently had a glitch. Once I resolved the problem, my installed Office 2010 and Word no longer work, and can't find them anywhere on the computer and no longer can find the original software. Is there a way to search for it, other than using the search function, which no longer recognizes it?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:55 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
My try looking in the C drive under program files x86 just look for microsoft office 14.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
If it is not in there it may be uninstalled.

Go to uninstall programs and see if it shows up there.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 AM  

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere. Damn computers!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Did you do a system restore?

Was your glitch a virus or malware.

I have meet a right nasty piece of malware that hid every thing on the computer. I ended up having to do a system restore on that to fix it after 2 weeks of running av and malware programs on it.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 AM  

Well, let me lay down on the leather sofa and tell you all my problems doc! It started when I chose, for personal reasons (running stock tallies, helping dad, etc) to keep AOL as my primary ISP. I received an important Microsoft update for malware safeguards, and upon installing it, it appears it recognized AOL as malware and stopped it from working on my computer. I went to a few computer savvy friends who advised I am not the only one with this problem, and recommended that I restore to a previous date to solve my glitch. I must have restored so far back that it eliminated my software ugrades. I have since cancelled the AOL account, but still use it for mail purposes, and use Internet Explorer for the web. My concern is now when I recieve important information from the Red Cross (my fun job!) it is either a power point or Word Doc., and no longer can open these files.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
If you don't have a disk of microsoft office. You can download openoffice from openofice.org. It is a FREE office suite that will open any and all MS Office documents.

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

You can also you use the FREE Google docs which is offered by GOOGLE and is great. It is an online (Cloud based program) that does any and all things MS Office does.

To use google docs you have to sign up for a google account. I would get a gmail account and switch to it. Best email out there.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
My try looking in the C drive under program files x86 just look for microsoft office 14.

Noticed you're running Kaspersky. I was again kicking myself the other day for a foolish purchase of Norton during Holiday sales.

I don't like an app slowing me with automatic updates so I set that to manual. The initial update was 120 megabytes????? I figured after that subsequent ones would be smaller.

Not by much. Every few weeks I discover updates of 70+ megs are necessary. On dialup that often means most of a full day doing only the download.

Kaspersky is by far the better written option. I think Symantec doesn't give a rip once you buy their product.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM  

I use AVG as my free anti-virus. Any pros or cons with this?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!