Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
anyone who thinks andriod isnt locked down is mistaken. go ahead, try to delete any of the apps that came with it WITHOUT rooting. why the hell do i need a madden nfl 2011 demo? not to mention google runs it, so god only knows how much info they are gleening from my phone about me at any given moment. i love my droid, but they arent as 'open' as many people say/think...

Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 PM  

Spokane, WA
I love my Android. I love that most of the best apps for the Android are free while on the iPhone you have to pay for most everything.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 PM  

Carmel, NY
Android by a mile
Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 PM  

Carmel, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
anyone who thinks andriod isnt locked down is mistaken. go ahead, try to delete any of the apps that came with it WITHOUT rooting. why the hell do i need a madden nfl 2011 demo? not to mention google runs it, so god only knows how much info they are gleening from my phone about me at any given moment. i love my droid, but they arent as 'open' as many people say/think...
That is more of the carrier than the OS though. Android itself is open. They even release the source for for it. The problem is the carrier/phone manufacturer will create their own ROM for it and that is what can get locked down.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
For those running the Droid please check out:

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/off...platform-6765/
Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 PM  

San Diego, CA
Android all the way. I like the ability to customize. The app market is nice. open, and many apps are free. Some carriers put bloatware on phones, yes, but it is not too difficult to get rid of it. Some carriers/phones have different android versions than others, but this is not impossible to overcome. The google apps are nice too.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 AM  

ohio
wow. Droid X just got an update and it came with madden football. AWESOME!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 AM  

Tampa, Florida
I use a Droid phone for work and an Iphone for my personel use. I definately prefer the Iphone just seems so much slicker where the Droid just feels like a knock-off to me.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 AM  

Dallas, Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigher View Post
I use a Droid phone for work and an Iphone for my personel use. I definately prefer the Iphone just seems so much slicker where the Droid just feels like a knock-off to me.
Droid!
I started off on the G1 over 2 years ago.. I'm on a Galaxy S now rooted and running Froyo with some pieces of Gingerbread and it's awesome.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by addie View Post

Is there something that droid has that the Iphone doesn't?
Viruses

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoTPD View Post
Droid X has an 8 mp camera and takes video in 720 p HD.

Android is open source. That means anyone can write an app for the phone. It is not locked down like the Iphone is. I can use any recorded voice or song or MP3 as a ringtone and as a message notification. Iphone limits you on so much. I am also a Droid fan!
Androids are good, no doubt. But the "freedom" of anyone being able to develop for it means you'll have all the viruses and malware and garbage that you get on a windows PC. True that Apple keeps the reins tight, but that also means everything works. Just like their computers. They may not be what you want, if not don't get one. But if what you want matches up to what they offer, there is no better.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!