Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM  

E readers which is best

I am considering getting an e-reader and it is not clear what would work best. I am hoping to use the library often and maybe buy a few. Would rather borrow more though. I have both Mac and PC with wireless connectivity. Does anyone have a preference, experiences?
thanx

Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I'm in love with my Kindle. I'm carrying over 400 books around in a reader the size of a paperback.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM  

Where do you download most of your files from, is it pretty open?
thank you
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM  

Reading, PA
X2 on the Kindle.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzie View Post
Where do you download most of your files from, is it pretty open?
thank you
Before and since getting a Kindle I often read Histories I find free on Gutenberg. I also belonged to a book forum but rarely go there since I have such a backlog to catch up on. They're also paranoid as heck although recent busts of book downloaders may justify their fears.
I'd suggest using Google to search for; "books AND forum". European sources are safer than US ones.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

I bought my wife on of the new Kindles with 3G and WiFi for christmas. She loves it. I odn't know how many bookes she has read since then but I'm averaging one - two emails from amazon a day about a recent purchase.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by M22KLARS View Post
I bought my wife on of the new Kindles with 3G and WiFi for christmas. She loves it. I odn't know how many bookes she has read since then but I'm averaging one - two emails from amazon a day about a recent purchase.
Sounds like she likes it. It's pretty nice to shop Amazon from a Kindle and download a new book in minutes.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
HTML Code:
http://www.businessinsider.com/amanda-hocking-2011-2
This 26-Year-Old Is Making Millions Cutting Out Traditional Publishers With Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Welcome to disruption. 26-year old Amanda Hocking is the best-selling "indie" writer on the Kindle store, meaning she doesn't have a publishing deal, Novelr says.
And she shouldn't. She gets to keep 70% of her book sales -- and she sells around 100,000 copies per month. By comparison, it's usually thought that it takes a few tens of thousands of copies sold in the first week to be a New York Times bestselling writer.
The comparison isn't entirely fair, because Hocking sells her books for $3, and some $.99. But that's the point: by lowering the prices, she can make more on volume, especially impulse buys. Meanwhile e-books cost nothing to print, you don't have to worry about print volumes, shelf space, inventory, etc. And did we mention the writer keeps 70%?
Previously one of the best selling Kindle writers was J.A. Konrath, but it was assumed he was popular because he previously had a publishing deal and so already had notoriety. That's not the case with Hocking, who published stories on her blog before turning to Kindle. In fact, out of the top 25 best-selling indie Kindle writers, only 6 were previously affiliated with a publishing house.
Back of the envelope math suggests that selling 100,000 copies a month at $1 to $3 a pop and keeping 70%, Hocking can make millions per year, straight to her pocket.
Welcome to the new era, the one that scares traditional publishers to death and will make the world better for writers and readers alike. Congratulations to Amazon for making it possible. And congratulations to Ms. Hocking on her success.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!