Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM  

vallejo, ca
I use Gmail, and also Google Voice, via my iPhone, and i gotta say I love it. I no longer feel "wierd" about providing my phone number for sales inquiries or whatnot, as Google Voice makes it super easy to just block a pesky caller, and they get a "this line is no longer in service" message when they dial the number. Its really really great.
At our company we're looking at migrating to a new messaging platform and are giving Google Enterprise very serious consideration.
I think they're a great company and doing a lot good in moving on-line technology forward.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for all of the great replies!

mobilejohn, PM me I'd like to know a little more about the company you work for and their experiences with Google Apps. Would you be willing to write a short testimonial on Apps? Any feedback (good or bad) is great for me when presenting to potential clients!

I finally made the switch to an Android phone and away from my iPhone! So far my feelings are mixed. I love the better integration of my mail, calendar and documents, but I liked the user interface/ experience with the iPhone better.
I have the Samsung Captivate and am awaiting Froyo and/or Gingerbread to be released. I am hoping that whichever is available for my phone will make the experience better!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM  

Valley Center, California
Picked up the new Nexus S Google phone. Love it. When I logged into my google account it updated all my contacts to my new phone. Painless. It even brought across the wallpaper and wireless settings I had.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 AM  

SW PA
This is a great topic relevant to the times for sure.

Of the three big companies that are the face of technology for most Americans (in my opinion - not researched) that use computers, here is how we look at them.

Google- they 'get it'. They know what people want and how to make it easy to use, not to mention free for goodness sake. They know what it takes to make complicated technology simple and everyday/everybody accessible, adequate for both the newbie and the advanced to use. They create needs we didn't even know we had, and fill them beautifully, free. Just take a look at 'labs' on Gmail, Documents, and Calendar for example, and these are the very minor ones. They do have some work to do on creating hardware though. Well, 'nuff said, it would take pages to laud the advances Google has given us in our computing life.

Apple- they 'get it' too, and make incredible hardware to fill the needs they create. They understand how people want to use things, and how to make it simple, and beautiful. Often ahead of their times. But they don't want to let anyone play in their sandbox.

Microsoft- they just don't 'get it'.

I have no professional background to form my opinions of the above, heck, I'm an 'old-timer'. Been using the net before it was the net- do some of you recall Prodigy and Compuserve when it was all simple bulletin boards ? Pre-dating AOL even. All my tech... ahem...'skill' is self taught. After all the years of frustrations, and literally years of sitting staring at screens whilst trying to make MS products do something, ramping up and then down and then up and then down excitement with Apple, Google is like a constantly fine-tuning miracle.

Google is 'it' as long as they never lose control of the vast information they have, or lose sight of their beginning mission.

Random investments? Doubt it.

Hope I didn't stray too far off topic of the opinions you were looking for.

Now, get over to Bakery Square and apply for a job in that new expansion
I think they will be one of the premier employers a quite a while to come. Pittsburgh is incredibly lucky to have them here.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I totally agree with the way you described the 'Big 3' tech companies. Of course there are tons of other, slightly less significant players, but I also believe that those 3 are the big ones.

I'm not going to lie - I'm not a Google slave yet. I do really enjoy Apple - I don't think I'll ever buy another PC again. The laptop I'm on right now is a Toshiba, and in one year the cooling system went out, it got overloaded with viruses and had to be wiped, and now my hard disk is malfunctioning. I've got 2 Mac's, one from 02 and one from 07, and neither one of them has ever had as much as an off-tick!

Google needs to become a little more aged in order to earn everyone's absolute loyalty, much like Apple has already done.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Some really great posts here! Glad to hear from so many Google advocates!

There are some really great things on the horizon as well...we will all just have to wait to see watt they are

I have to agree with Tinkerin and Jake7 on Apple and MS...I've never been a MS fan even before I bought my first Mac. Now that I own a Mac, I could care less if I ever had a PC running a Windows OS again!

Now even though Androids work so wonderfully with Google Apps, I had to go back to my iPhone...at least for the time being. I'm awaiting the next influx of Android devices and new OS before I decide to go back.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!