Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Google Working with Microsoft to Curb MHTML Exploit

Quote:
Google said it is working with Microsoft to patch a hole in the Windows operating system hackers are trying to exploit to target activists, among other users.

The search engine, which called the attacks "highly targeted and apparently politically motivated," said the perpetrator(s) abuses a known vulnerability Microsoft treated with a temporary patch in late January.

The bug lies in the MHTML (MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate HTML) protocol handler on Windows XP and later Windows versions, and is exploited as a cross-site scripting attack when users surf the Web with Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser.

An attacker could leverage the hole by writing an HTML link designed to trigger a malicious script and convince the targeted user to click it.

The exploit can be used to run JavaScript code on IE, giving an attacker a way to access user information stored in the browser and trick users into installing malicious code.

Microsoft issued this fix for the security flaw in January, but the flaw is being used to target political activists and even users on at least one popular social Website, Google said.

Google's security engineers recommend users, including businesses whose computers use IE, run Microsoft's Fixit solution on their computers to block this attack until permanent patch is available.

For its part, Google said it has set up several server-side defenses to protect users of its own Web services against the MHTML exploit.

"That said, these are not tenable long-term solutions, and we can't guarantee them to be 100 percent reliable or comprehensive," Google's security team wrote in a blog post March 11. "We're working with Microsoft to develop a comprehensive solution for this issue."

That Google is working directly with rival Microsoft is a testament to the seriousness of the issue. Rivalries tend to get placed on the backburner where computer security is concerned, but the joint effort certainly underscores the companies' shared concern.

Indeed, Google said the abuse of this vulnerability represents a new quality in the exploitation of Web-level vulnerabilities. The company said such attacks previously focused on directly compromising users' systems, as opposed to leveraging vulnerabilities to interact with web services.
HTML Code:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Google-Working-with-Microsoft-to-Curb-MHTML-Exploit-509446/

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM  

Georgia
China penetrated Google's security last year and many user accounts including mine and a few of my friends were compromised. Since then, I've been trying out alternatives to Google services.

Is it time for Google Alternatives?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
None really match Google. I minimize content I share with many sites or companies.
I'm certain Google thought they had state of the art defenses but state of the art is a fast moving target.
Look what the US and Israel did to Iran's centrifuges. They bluffed the guy on duty to reset his password and destroyed the software. Iran contacted Symantec who had no clue what was infesting Iran's computers.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.