Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2011, 04:46 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Human Powered Helicopter

UM students' human-powered helicopter becomes airborne
Quote:
Engineering students at the University of Maryland are claiming a world record after successfully lofting their human-powered Gamera helicopter a few inches above a gymnasium floor Thursday afternoon at the Comcast Center in College Park.

The flight came during the team's final attempt, after two days of tests and near-misses. But just before 5:30 p.m., with pilot Judy Wexler, 24, pedaling furiously with her hands and feet, the gangly craft's rotors bent and pulled Gamera perhaps a foot into the air. In seconds it was over.

"Not even a question. We don't have to review the videotape. ? Absolutely amazing," said team leader Brandon Bush, 29. It wasn't immediately clear how long Gamera was airborne, or how high it got.
HTML Code:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-05-12/news/bs-md-gamera-record-20110512_1_human-powered-helicopter-american-helicopter-society-gamera
Quote:
More than 30 years ago, the American Helicopter Society International challenged engineers to create a human-powered helicopter that could reach an altitude of at least three meters and hover for at least 60 seconds. In 1980, Sikorsky Aircraft promised $20,000 to the winner.

So far, no one has succeeded and claimed what?s now called the Sikorsky Award. There have been attempts: In 1989, students at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo built a helicopter that hovered for 7.1 seconds. In 1994, students at Nihon University in Japan flew a helicopter for 19.46 seconds.

In December 2008, Pines held a meeting with students and faculty to announce that the Maryland school would take on the elusive challenge. Soon after, Sikorsky upped the prize to $250,000.

For the next year, a team of 50 students researched past attempts, sketched out ideas and tested small-scale models. They settled on a design similar to the one used in Japan: a lightweight X-shaped frame with a set of rotor blades at each point, and the pilot suspended in a cockpit in the middle.

Last year, the students studied the extreme ground effects of hovering and decided that the closer they kept to the ground, the more suspension help their helicopter would get.

?It?s like when you hold your hand in front of a fan,? said Mor Gilad, 28, an aerospace master?s degree student. The closer your hand gets to the fan, the harder the air pressure pushes against it.

The students began constructing and testing segments of the craft, using balsa wood, foam, Mylar, carbon fiber and other lightweight materials. They also recruited potential pilots ? small, athletic types with lots of patience.

The students decided they wanted to fly before commencement, which is next week, and booked a small gym in the Comcast Center. Last week, they began assembling and testing the helicopter, named Gamera, after the gigantic flying turtle in 1970s Japanese monster films.

Here?s how Gamera was supposed to work Wednesday morning: The pilot, a 107-pound female student who is a competitive cyclist, would climb into the cockpit. She?d pedal hand and foot cranks at a steady pace, winding up the yellow rope attached to pulleys that turn the rotor blades. Once she reached 17 to 18 rotations per minute, Gamera would lift off.

?The hard part is finding the right acceleration,? said Judy Wexler, 24, a biology major from Bethesda who responded to a flier advertising for a pilot. ?If you go too quickly, you can break something. . . .Too slowly, you waste energy.?

After the break, the students and a smaller crowd returned for another round of test flights. Wexler had reached more than 16 rotations per minute late Wednesday; the team called it a day. Testing is to resume at 11 a.m. Thursday.

?If we even get off the ground at all, we?ll be number three,? said Brandon Bush, 29, an aerospace doctoral student. ?We just have to get off the ground.?

?I?m convinced that we can do it,? Pines said. ?To me this is . . .inspiring our kids, showing them that they can be the next aviation pioneers. Just like the Wright brothers.?
HTML Code:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/u-md-team-aims-to-be-first-in-human-copter-flight/2011/05/11/AFBZL0sG_story.html?wprss=rss_homepage
Human Powered Helicopter-de4113624.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-yuri_i_01.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-yuriii.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-me-helicopter194_1305140421.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-110519_heli1.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-copterattempt-1045a.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-9_heli2.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-standalone.prod_4.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-standalone.prod_7.jpg 

Human Powered Helicopter-bilde-1-.jpg 

Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 PM  
fustrated genius

I can barely pedle my bicycle around my block twice.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I'm older than you are and I can do better. Take off the training wheels, they just hold you back.:bana na:
Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 PM  
Traveler

Too cool Blucher! Wonder if they have video of that in action? Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:47 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Too cool Blucher! Wonder if they have video of that in action? Thanks for sharing!
16 second flight wouldn't show much.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I'm older than you are and I can do better. Take off the training wheels, they just hold you back.:bana na:
You do realize that riding around my yard is about like a city block, don't you?
It's 3 miles once around the block here

(how you know you're older too)
Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 PM  
fustrated genius

Here's a picture of another human powered vehicle from generations past . . . the Hunley (CivilWar era submarine, this is a replica though)

Old 05-29-2011, 06:37 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Is that the sub that drowned several crews?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM  
fustrated genius

Why yes, and the first successful sub attack on a ship. I believe they lost 3 crews all together if I remember correctly.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Wasn't Hunley (or the inventor) killed too?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!