Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM  

San Antonio, TX
I initially purchased the iPad to be used for business trips, as I travel a lot. Unfortunately, like someone else mentioned, it's a large iPhone, without the calling feature. I ended up giving it to my wife, and we use it primarily for extended bathroom trips.

It also works well as a cookbook or something to pass the time, when we're stuck somewhere (think DMV waiting area).

Despite what apple fanatics will tell you, the typing is difficult on it, it doesn't support flash, it has no internal file structure, etc. Hell, I couldn't even do word processing on it, because you can't upload the stuff anywhere. It doesn't support an upload feature. If you want to get files off, they must be emailed, or backed-up via iTunes.

For me, its a big kid toy, and nothing else.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:53 PM  

Roseburg, Oregon
We use the iPad as our sons AAC Device. He's Autistic and doesn't talk so instead of a $7,000 Dynovox unit, its about $700 for a smaller device thats able to adjust to his ability.

That and when the husband is on the computer I can check Jeepforum :P

Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

I love everything about my iPad except the non-flash thing. I use it a LOT in my cars to monitor engine performance.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM  
cwg

I enjoy my Ipad, but it cannot replace my laptop during my travels. It's a second device to carry, but I don't have to carry books, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM  

Conway, Kansas
Will it work if dropped and gets wet from the rain?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm waiting for the iPad to get USB, memory card slots, keyboard, flash ability - before I invest in one. The second one is supposed to be announced in the next few months. I may look into it then.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM  
Poison Idea

Spend half the money on a netbook and have even more stuff right now.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
I HATE netbooks. To me they are worthless. Processor is not fast enough to handle the OS let alone anything else like say Office 2007. I have two netbooks at work and they are such a PITA it is not funny. If you have larger hands (XL gloves don't always fit my hands) a netbook is out of the question. for elementary school aged kids and teenagers netbooks are great.

I was going to get my wife a nook. She then told me she wanted a nook color. I said what $350 when I can spend $150 more and get you a 32gb ipad that will do everything the color nook does plus you get to play angry birds (That game is addicting just spent 3 hours playing it). I have netflix and I can stream tv and movies to it and they look GREAT. You can fix teh no flash support by using the app cloud browser.

It has more of a chance of working if you drop it because it has flash or solid state memory. But, dropping any computer is cause for repairs to screens HDD's keyboards ect.... What are you planning on doing with it? Throwing it off a cliff into a lake and diving in after it?

My wife is a nurse and has time during her shift to sit down and read a little. So getting this is great as she can read a book or catch up on a newspaper or check her facebook and email.

It is not meant to totally replace a laptop. But I find that so far I love it and I just may end up getting one.

For me at work it would be so nice as I can put in helpdesk tickets as i get then screamed at me in the hall way.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!