Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 PM  

San Angelo, Texas
iPad2

Point blank is it worth it? Wifi or Wifi/3G? Anyone use it for more than movies and internet? Any real world Pros and Cons would be appreciated. I am not sure what kind of apps they have for the iPad. I have a Mac Book Pro and think I would like the iPad for it's size or lack of. I think it being bigger than the iPhone would be great for when I am traveling. Thanks for all the opinions.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 AM  

Greenville, SC
I will try to wake this thread from the dead..... I too have questions. I am not real big into computers or any of that stuff. Never had an Iphone, tablet, or any of that fancy stuff.... My wife is talking about an Ipad or Ipad 2 for use with homeschoolng our daughter. I am an eternal skeptic on all this tech stuff. I feel like stuff is not made to last, and it becomes obsolete too quickly.

Anyway, I have heard several things. I have heard how great it is, but then I have also heard it isn't much more that a glorified Ipod touch. Can you do much more than reading, movies, and pictures? You can't hook an external hard drive or anything like that? I don't know..... Any thaughts?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
The ipad is great for what it is intended for. Surfing the web, minor typing, quick easy access to the web, watching movies or video from netflix or Hulu+, playing games. You are not going to be typing a term paper on it.

My wife uses it at work to check her email facebook and read books. The Ipad unfortunately has no connections other than the standard iPod, iPad port for charging and syncing.

Other tablets that are android based have USB ports and HDMI ports to show movies on your HDTV.

Apple refuses to support FLASH content. Which makes surfing the web not so much fun at times. Android tablets support flash.

There are TONS of educational Apps out for the iPad and Android tablets.

I like them and sooner or later I will end up with a tablet. I am waiting for Android to support changing Proxy settings. I work in a school and running around with a laptop is not fun many times. But toting around an tablet would be fine.

Also if you do something that you need to print on an ipad you better hope you can Email it to yourself or hope that your printer has an ipad app. I have an HP printer and they have a few apps for printing from the ipad.

As far as 3g I would not waste my money on getting an ipad with 3g and wifi. When you purchase the Ipad 3g it cost more and you HAVE to get a new line or new account with AT&T for the 3g unless you buy your ipad from a verizon store. Even then both AT&T and Verizon cap you at 2gb of data. If you go over that they either A: limit your speed or B: CHARGE you HUGE overage charges.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post

There are TONS of educational Apps out for the iPad and Android tablets.
Thanks.... i think that the educational apps is what has my wife thinking it would be a pretty good idea... We probably wouldn't be using it for the internet much except itunes for the most part. Can you use a stylus with the ipad?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Apple - Education - Apps

Android Education Apps

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads