Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Mrudocs HTPC Build thread.

This will be a long one as I am ordering a few parts each month for 3 or 4 months. I am going to build myself a 6 core 6 tb 16gb ram Home theater PC.

I am starting a complete revamp of my current AV set up that will more than likely take me at least 2 years.

It is starting with my custom built Home Theater PC.

I just purchased the first batch of parts for it.

1. Silverstone LC-17b HTPC case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163055

2. Cooler Master 600w Power Supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171036

3. ASUS BD-ROM drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135247

Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Cool!! What video card are you considering? I run an older system I had built with the Zotac GeForce GTX 470 video card. Probably newer, better video cards avaiable, but this one has worked pretty good for the application.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Using onboard graphics. ATI Radon 6500.

For what it's doing there is no need for a gaming graphics card. It just makes more noise and causes more heat.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Yeah that card is a tad noisy with that fan on it and it does get warm. The grand kids do play alot of video games in the theater room as well as watch ripped bluy rays that I have in the hard drive. This card seemed to be able to do both well, movies / games, when I researched it. The tower is kept quiet as it is in a closet in another room, my office, and wired to the AV system in the theater.

I use the computer to watch the movies, play games, and archive the physical CD,s and DVD's on a high shelf in a closet. Saves the DVD's and CD's from being used as frisbees by the younger grand kids.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Right I want to rip all my CD's and DVD then start on the blu-ray's so I can box them all up and pack them away.

Right now I rip DVD's with Magic DVD ripper. It rips and encodes them to popular video formats.

For my CD's I am using and LOVING dbpoweramp. I ripped 100 CD's in just two hours along with cooking dinner and picking up the house.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.