Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 PM  

PC vs MAC?

I am forced to us a PC for work... and use a MAC at home for personal use.

MAC are expensive, but I can say worth every penny - in the last 3 years my MAC has had one issue (hard drive failed) and one issue alone...

My PC for work had to be reformatted twice, upgraded memory needed to handle application use, and to this day is the slowest piece I have ever used its frustrating.

What are everyone's preferences?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I work with Linux, MAC, and WINDOWS at work. Let me tell you that network enviroment is a PITA.

The MACS worked great then the switched the servers to Linux now the windows machines hardly work it take 30 minutes to start your computer and log in but "There is nothing wrong with anything". I wish they would either go all windows or all mac. Pref all mac.

I was so pissed at Bestbuy and Windows I almost got an iMac 27" for my wife.

Not only did best buy remove a hard drive to fix a video card problem they didn't reinstall the OS they removed. They told me DO IT YOURSELF.

Windows 7 is supposed to be so great. It is a big pain I have a Netgear N600 wifi router I can't get 2 windows 7 machines to even see each other let alone share a single bit on information. It took 2 years to get HP to fix a problem with their print drivers so I could scan on an HP computer and a HP scanner. I had to load linux on the wifes for a while just to get it up and running. In 15 minutes I had the printer working the wifi worked everything it all just worked.

I told the wife when her computer goes out I am done she is getting a MAC whether she likes it or not....

Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 PM  

I tinker with computers and different OS(s) and I jave to say Ubuntu is one of my favorite Linux distros... but I think once the wife's laptop kicks the bucket we're going to be an all Mac family.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
I don't always care for the super tight policy Apple has but for the most part it is a much better OS that is laid out a lot better.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I use PC's at work but have Macs for home use. Worth every cent imo.
PC vs MAC?-mac.jpg 

Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I have an older macbook pro from work.

I take care of 90 macbook that elementary school kids use and ABUSE. I have little to no problems with them. The 100 or so PC's are broke all the dagum time. I have 5 in my office waiting on parts.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM  

Dallas, Dallas
I only recommend Macs to the very old and the very young for the ease of use and to artists because for photo / video there's just nothing better.
For everything else use a Windows or Linux PC. A lot of the issues with PC's is crap hardware in them. If you get an off the shelf $399 complete system it's probably going to have some issues down the road. If you take the time and build it yourself with quality components you have far fewer issues.
Or get a Dell Netbook and save a bunch of money and put OSX on it. I know several people that have done that and they are thrilled with it..
Here's a link to show you how to install OSX on a Dell Mini
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
installing OSX on anything but a APPLE product is a violation of copyright and can land you in trouble. Will it I doubt it. But the one computer company that was building clone macs sure got nailed by the man.

Why the hell would you want to own a Dell anyways? Never seen anything but problems from them anyways. Plus a netbook why would you want one of them? When you can get either an Archos 101 or an iPad for around the same price and get more out of it plus that tiny little cramped keyboard on a netbook makes typing so hard with anyone with a glove size over XXS. I tell parents if they want a laptop for their kids get them netbooks.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:59 AM  

Dallas, Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
installing OSX on anything but a APPLE product is a violation of copyright and can land you in trouble. Will it I doubt it. But the one computer company that was building clone macs sure got nailed by the man.

Why the hell would you want to own a Dell anyways? Never seen anything but problems from them anyways. Plus a netbook why would you want one of them? When you can get either an Archos 101 or an iPad for around the same price and get more out of it plus that tiny little cramped keyboard on a netbook makes typing so hard with anyone with a glove size over XXS. I tell parents if they want a laptop for their kids get them netbooks.
"installing OSX on anything but a APPLE product is a violation of copyright and can land you in trouble." and that's why Apple will never put a dent in Microsofts business, they are losing the iphone / android battle and are steadily losing their lead over linux. Their hardware is way over priced. That's why if you like OSX, get a Dell Mini and load it. It will save you a great deal of money and runs great. Apple did one thing really well, the ipod, I will give them that. I love my ipod and the iTunes interface. The iphone was also awesome but it's lost it's wow factor since android started skyrocketing.

You can't get more out of an iPad or an Archos. That's ridiculously dumb to even say. And you can't get an ipad for the same price as a netbook. And for the keyboard, they aren't that bad. You have to type on an ipad and they bring up an on screen keyboard thats even smaller than the one on my netbook and more difficult to type on. I have an ipad that I use for testing apps over citrix. It's a complete and total waste of money. Its cool for the first hour but when you need to work you put it away and grab a better tool for the job.
Tablets will get better and more affordable and I look forward to that day but it's not now. There are several really cool android devices set to release this year that should increase tablet app development and hopefully by this time next year I will have a new tablet that is capable of replacing my netbook.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:25 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by javo View Post
....Apple did one thing really well, the ipod, I will give them that....
That's just a lot of historically inaccurate blah blah blah. Apple has defined computing as we know it today.

I remember when Windows was released. As if it was something new. It was a joke then and still is.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.