Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 AM  

Edgewater, FL
I wanna move to Cookeville....HELP

My husband and I currently live in Florida, and we're getting ready to move. We've been eyeballing Cookeville for close to a year, and are having a hard time figuring out the negatives. We love the fact that it's in the middle of the 3 cities, but also that it's large enough to have alot of the things we like (and don't have now).

Are there any of you folks that are living there, and can perhaps give a helping hand as far as information? We're looking at renting at first, so that we can figure out where in the area that we want to live.

We're also thinking of buying a very cheap house, so that we can fix it up, and rent to our daughter. But again, a very cheap house in a nice area, is better than a very cheap house in a bad area. And we don't know what places to avoid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 AM  

Nashville, TN
Are you looking at the job market? Cookevilles nice, been there manytimes. Beautifull part of the state in my opinion. But it's a long comute to go to Nashville or Knoxville everyday if thats your intention.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 AM  

Edgewater, FL
My husband has a couple of job prospects there already. I'm a military retiree, but looking for a government job....which would lead to Nashville. But being from SoCal, commutes don't scare me. LOL. But that would be a last option. But I'll go where the money is. And Nashville is about an hour away?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 PM  

Sparta, TN
Well, I guess it depends on what you are into.

I moved to Cookeville from Southeast Florida back in 1987. I now live 25 miles south of Cookeville in Sparta, TN. I work in Nashville and commute 110 miles one way to work. Luckily I get to work from home one day a week which helps.

If you are looking for a good paying job well that might be tough. Good paying as in $70K+ will be really hard to find. However, you don't really need that much as there are many houses under $100K or for a bit more upscale I'd say $150-200.

There are not too many things to do in Cookeville but again it depends on what you are into. I live 20 min from Fall Creek Falls which is an awesome state park with hiking, biking, golf, etc...

There are several parks in the Upper Cumberland region with awesome views various other outdoor things to do.

If you are a big nightclub partier well there's not too much of that but there are some clubs. The first fight I ever saw in a bar was after moving to TN as in FL I didn't see that much. I don't frequent bars/clubs much anymore but I'd say there still some of that going on. It's just a redneck way to handle disputes.

Anyway, it is a great place to live and I hope my comments have helped.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Have you looked to the NE of Knoxville? Have you looked to Oak Ridge for gov work?

Scott
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM  
Homebrewer

Sparta, Tn
Sparta is close to Cookeville, and it's cheaper to rent or buy here. Right now houses are cheap. It's a good place to live if you like scenery and quiet.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM  

Overton Co., TN
Native Floridian now a Tennessean

I was born and raised in Northwest Fl, not far from Pensacola. I moved to Chattanooga in 1977 and 12 years ago moved to Overton Co. I absolutely love this part of the state! We bought property bordering on a state park. The property itself was very cheap. We built our home on the side of a hill and it is awesome.
I travel all over the state for my job, since there are not many jobs locally that pay what I was used to making in Chattanooga, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 PM  

Tennessee
Cookeville is a reasonable enough size to provide employment for most job sectors and the surrounding area is a mix of agriculture, light manufacturing, tourism, and service based jobs.

You may consider looking in the Baxter area of Cookeville to the west which is pretty reasonable. Overton county as a poster above mentioned is also a favorite of mine and I've found Livingston to be a rather nice town.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 AM  

Lebanon, Tn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
My husband has a couple of job prospects there already. I'm a military retiree, but looking for a government job....which would lead to Nashville. But being from SoCal, commutes don't scare me. LOL. But that would be a last option. But I'll go where the money is. And Nashville is about an hour away?
It would be closer to 2hrs away i live in Lebanon and Cookeville is about 55 mins from where i live, so Cookeville to Nashville would be about 1hr 45mins.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 AM  

Lebanon, Tn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
My husband and I currently live in Florida, and we're getting ready to move. We've been eyeballing Cookeville for close to a year, and are having a hard time figuring out the negatives. We love the fact that it's in the middle of the 3 cities, but also that it's large enough to have alot of the things we like (and don't have now).

Are there any of you folks that are living there, and can perhaps give a helping hand as far as information? We're looking at renting at first, so that we can figure out where in the area that we want to live.

We're also thinking of buying a very cheap house, so that we can fix it up, and rent to our daughter. But again, a very cheap house in a nice area, is better than a very cheap house in a bad area. And we don't know what places to avoid.

Any help would be appreciated.
Well are you a Tennessean now? I didnt think to look and see the post was from 2010.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Bookmark this Page!