Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Fire in Texas

Have you seen any of the fires in your area?

Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
I personally have not. I saw on the news that Wimberley was on fire. An older couple was out back grilling and they didnt make sure the coals were out. As we all know in these parts... its pretty windy- constantly. Needless to say, their house burned to the ground. Their neighbor's house caught as well, but only the metal roof melted and collapsed into the attic.

Sucks that it happened, but it could have been a LOT worse.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM  

San Angelo, Texas
We had the Wildcat fire just north of us here in San Angelo, last I heard it was up to 160,000 acres. We had a couple spring up just today with the wind, just to our west in Irion Co. We have had ash falling in the city from both fires when the wind is right. With these winds, they are screaming across the country side.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBigJon View Post
We had the Wildcat fire just north of us here in San Angelo, last I heard it was up to 160,000 acres. We had a couple spring up just today with the wind, just to our west in Irion Co. We have had ash falling in the city from both fires when the wind is right. With these winds, they are screaming across the country side.
Did they get them put out or are they just burning?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Aren't fires better now in Spring than say August at the end of a hot dry Summer?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Did they get them put out or are they just burning?
Their neighbors came out with hoses trying to help, but it was long gone by this point. the FD came in and used river water to put it out. sad. :[
Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Aren't fires better now in Spring than say August at the end of a hot dry Summer?
in texas, its always hot and dry- except Dec/Jan

I moved back here to get away from the cold though, so i cant complain. im more of a warm/hot weather kinda person any way.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM  

San Angelo, Texas
Quote:
No not really, this is usually the wetter time of year, my region of the state has had little moisture since last spring. We have lots of fuel because last spring was pretty wet. Now with winds about 30 mph daily when we get a small spark going it rolls across the country side pretty fast. There are some big fires around Junction and one started around Camp Wood, Texas. That rough country is hard to get trucks into so is more of a defensive stance and let it burn.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
That rough country is hard to get trucks into so is more of a defensive stance and let it burn.
Almost all the pictures of Texas I've seen over the years showed dry brush. Are these fires primarily brush fires or are there forests involved too?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM  

San Angelo, Texas
Quote:
Almost all the pictures of Texas I've seen over the years showed dry brush. Are these fires primarily brush fires or are there forests involved too?
No forest in our area, just brush and grass. The "cedar", really juniper, trees are dry and act like gasoline due to the oil in them. They are literally explosive combustion when the fire hits them, kind of like striking a match with that really big flare up. Tons of embers fall off of them because they really don't have leaves. I'll try and see if I can get this photo to paste.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Bookmark this Page!