Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2011, 09:19 PM  
Traveler

Now this is a fast train!

You know when the driver rolls up his sleeves prior to running...... it's big!Watch the viwe out the back window. Holy crap!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Works great in Japan but in Europe and the US taking out a bullet train full of passengers is a given if we give Al Qaeda the opportunity. Sneak an RC bomb on board and wait till the train is passing a freight with ammonia or toulene in a densely populated area and terrorists score again.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 PM  
Traveler

I might be wrong but I thought it was a French unit.........
Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
I might be wrong but I thought it was a French unit.........
Probably is French but the most bullet trains are Japanese.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:36 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
I rode the Maglev bullet train in China from Shanghai to the airport in 2007. Very cool experience.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Now this is a fast train!

Quote:
I rode the Maglev bullet train in China
Is it like anything you'd experienced & how fast?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Well with no rails to ride on and riding on a magnetic field the ride was unbelievelby smooth. The floating sensation with speed was neat but strange. Acceleration was held barely within reason but it seemed the operators were holding the train back during the acceleration phase.

Poles did look like a picket fence actually looking out the window in a lateral direction everything was a blur. You had to look ahead at quite an angle to be able to focus the eyes to make out anything when the train was up to terminal speed.

We were staying at the Hua Ting Hotel in Shanghai and the truck picked up our luggage 2 hours before we left Hotel to the train station for the airport. The truck with our luggage arrived near an hour after we got to the airport. The ride in the train was just under 15 minuets.

I believe that the train reached somewhere around 540 KPH but not quite sure exactly what the speed was. I do know that whatever speed it was going that we were told that it could go much faster and usually did but on that day they were working on the line.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:57 PM  

If I remember correctly the first bullet train was developed by the French and that is what we see in the video. This was their test run. It runs from Paris to southern France , believe Niece. It runs through magnificents sceenery but you wont be seeing much of it, due to its speed. One reporter who was present said that " their cheeks and mouths were flopping from the speed.
The Japanese and Chinese got the technology from France, and they built it as well. Correct me in this if I am wrong.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Acceleration was held barely within reason but it seemed the operators were holding the train back during the acceleration phase.
That must be like takeoff when flying except for a longer time of acceleration. That's unimaginable ground speed. I hope before they retire any trains they use one to approximate a derailment or collision. I'd be interested in how far that amount of mass moving over 500 mph might fly after impact.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:08 PM  

Thats a very good question blucher I,d like to know it to. Any Hawkins out there who could figure this scenario out without doing a crash course? (Iam a math dummy)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Bookmark this Page!