Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 AM  

Greenville, SC
Towing a trailer??

Okay, I'm running out of ideas here.... I have somewhat a dilemma and am looking for suggestions. Here are some key points:
-I am moving my family from South Carolina to Alaska in May with the possibility/likelyhood of coming back for the winter in October. My wife and three kids will fly up, and my father in law and I will drive some stuff up.
-Will need an enclosed trailer up there to store some things in over the winter. Most of these things I will be carrying up there in May. Oh, the vehicles I have now I will probably sell before leaving..
-I currently do not own a vehicle that can tow a 12-14' trailer.
-I was going to buy a trailer, and tow with a Uhaul (I know, Uhaul isn't the best truck company but it is the only one that will let you go through Canada.)... Simple idea, right?
-Well, turns out that the Uhaul trucks are not equipped for electric trailer brakes. So, now that pretty much spoils that plan.
-Next option is to purchase a truck specifically to tow a trailer up there and be a mode of transportation while up there (means it would have to be a four door truck or an SUV)... I'm thinkin it should be 4wd for snow and for resale value in Ak.
-The problem is, is that a truck with 4wd, 4 doors, and not a tremendous amount of miles is quite pricey. Not my preferred option.
-Just an idea of what type of things I am taking up there.... A very heavy toolbox, an ATV, a set of tires and rims, some household goods, some camping stuff, chainsaw, and some other odds and ends...
I would love to find a company that would just rent out a big diesel pickup or something for cross country... Affordably of course... I don't expect to have my problems solved here, just hunting for ideas....

Oh, almost forgot... I am aware that I could probably just put it all in the uhaul truck. However, I was hoping that after we sell our house I could just load the stuff up into the trailer and store it in the trailer until driving up. Also, enclosed trailers are fairly expensive up there. So if I choose to just haul it up in the truck only, I will probably have to rent a truck to get all that stuff to a storage unit or something, unload it, and then load a truck up again before leaving. Not an easy task with the very heavy toolbox.... It would just be ideal to be able to tow a trailer up! Why the heck doesn't uhaul equip the truck with electric trailer brake hookups??!?

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 AM  

Sammamish, WA
U-haul is not the only rental company Hertz does have some trucks with towing capability, don't know about Budget or Ryder.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 AM  

Greenville, SC
Yeah, I had hoped that the other rental companies would be options... From my research however, it appears that Uhaul is the only one that will let you take the truck through Canada to Alaska.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM  

I myself would place it all in an old cargo container and ship it to the destination. This way, you can drive what you have up there and deal with the purchases once you settle in. Also, some containers can be outright purchased so once it is dropped at your destination, it is yours to keep and could be used as a garage.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I myself would place it all in an old cargo container and ship it to the destination. This way, you can drive what you have up there and deal with the purchases once you settle in. Also, some containers can be outright purchased so once it is dropped at your destination, it is yours to keep and could be used as a garage.
Now, I definitely like that idea, but I have not been able to find a price for that. I know you can buy the containers but looked into the shipping of a container and it seemed that you have to be a business or something "exporting" stuff. I'm all ears if someone knows where I can get a price for it. I don't know, I am waiting for a quote from "upack" but am not too optimistic about it.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 AM  

Contractors use this technique often when building in the Hawaiian Islands. We utilize this same format when shipping fireworks to islands, since they are prohibited on planes. I would google container companies in your area and start out from there.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Contractors use this technique often when building in the Hawaiian Islands. We utilize this same format when shipping fireworks to islands, since they are prohibited on planes. I would google container companies in your area and start out from there.
I am going to try to find some sources for pricing...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads