Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Traveling
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Flying used to be easy. Drink on the way to the airport bar. Allow the bartender to do a pre-flight preparation and wobble onboard politely. Now I hear a wobble can make you a train lover.
I flew to Austin, TX once. We hit some "typical bumps in the road, it's springtime over Texas" There were finger indentions on the armrest ends, and I believe they may have had to change the seat covers . . .I KNOW I had to change my skivs. And they didn't like me yelling "HOLY SHEETS!!!"
Didn't like it at ALL. That's why when I go east, (never been east of Aust. TX) , I ain't flying in one of them things to get there.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I had a cat fly into Philly with me. The cat flew cargo till we switched to a small plane for the 50 mile flight into Reading PA. Cat now is riding in a carrier on my lap.

Between Philly & Reading were lots of air pockets since we only now discovered Reading was the 3rd stop of our flight. At low altitudes planes are bouncy.
Now I have a terrified Siamese crying Oh SHEETS! continuously but with a sort of warble effect as the ups & downs lent depth to kitty's cries. This is clearly not air travel by my definition.

Airplanes clearly defy God's intentions. No feathers on me, no hollow bones and no resemblance at all to "lighter than air". That said they do serve a purpose. Travel by road or rail is slow, statistically more dangerous and subtracts from fun time at your destination.

The trick is to get through the 5 minutes between takeoff and enough altitude to reach quiet air. At 30,000 feet you lose all sensation of flight and can take a nap.

little planes - bad
BIG PLANES - good
Amtrak railroad travel.-3470.jpg 

Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
On my way to Fort Jackson we took a large plane from Phoenix to Atlanta. Then we got stuck in a little
puddle jumper from Atlanta to Columbia. I thought the itty bitty puddle jumper was more fun
then the large plane. But I am also a bit strange.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I love traveling by train myself. I rode trains all over Europe, and thought it was a great way to see some nice scenery while sipping on a glass of vino.

I would rather take the train than fly if I'm going from Montreal to Ottawa or Toronto. Much more relaxed imo. No crazy line ups, stressed out lunatics and cavity searches.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I would rather take the train than fly if I'm going from Montreal to Ottawa or Toronto. Much more relaxed imo. No crazy line ups, stressed out lunatics and cavity searches.
You're spoiled with all your Eastern cities so close together. Had you heard we're now expecting surgically implanted bombs? I'm guessing El Al will be the first target.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Amtrak railroad travel.
Amtrak railroad travel.-atsf-508-mojave-1-1991-1000x628.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-bnsf4116-ludlow-scott-5815b.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-santa-fe-diesel.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-golden-brett-canedy.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-superliner.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-westours-554-eklutna-denali-7-1988-1000x645.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-zephyr2.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-information-desk-grand-central-terminal.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-blue-train-dining-car-evening.jpg 

Amtrak railroad travel.-blue-train-luxury-double-bed-night.jpg 

Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I just don't get how the train thing works....

BLUCHER! help me? lol
If you've seen the vacation packages what's your question? I haven't been on a train in your lifetime but if you specify a need I know how to look. Trains may actually have live people answering phones because of the nature of questions.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
TOO COLD!!! and WET!!!
Big sissy, it's the end of July when OR begins it's impersonation of Arizona for 6 weeks. It may not even rain at all some Augusts. Puget Sound looks like a fun place to open up a power boat and boogie.
Even the Oregon cats ignore the rain, it's rarely more than a light misty drizzle. We're green 24/7 365 days a year.
The Dalles (photo) is at the Eastern end of the Columbia Gorge and it's a hot dry desert where you can thaw out.
DallesDam Aug "97"
Amtrak railroad travel.-dallesdamaug97.jpg 

Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
You're spoiled with all your Eastern cities so close together. Had you heard we're now expecting surgically implanted bombs? I'm guessing El Al will be the first target.
Toronto is a six hour drive from Montreal at interstate speeds. The train takes about 4 hours.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Big sissy, it's the end of July when OR begins it's impersonation of Arizona for 6 weeks. It may not even rain at all some Augusts. Puget Sound looks like a fun place to open up a power boat and boogie.
Even the Oregon cats ignore the rain, it's rarely more than a light misty drizzle. We're green 24/7 365 days a year.
The Dalles (photo) is at the Eastern end of the Columbia Gorge and it's a hot dry desert where you can thaw out.
DallesDam Aug "97"
Yeah, well, we just got our yearly 6" terrential rains. BURRR!!

97 whoopity la la I lived along the Columbia Riv. and it was TOO COLD!!! TOO WET, beautiful, but MISERABLE.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Traveling
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.