Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Traveling
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Drive from western Canada to Baltimore

In late June and early July 2012, the family and I are driving from Kamloops BC to Baltimore Maryland.
We can take any route there, and a different one home.
Looking for suggestions on stuff to see, and place/roads to avoid.
We will be driving a motorhome.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
You should swing through Quebec City and Montreal. That way you could drive through the beautiful scenery in northern New England.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
In 2005 I drove from Eastern PA to Oregon using the same highway. It passes near Harrisburg which is the connection N/S to Maryland. Might be easier from Chambersburg but beware the mountains near Chambersburg, they're hard on motor homes.

If you look on a real map you'll see which interstate I mean. Ninety something I believe. Our toll roads and major interstates are boring and repetitive.

Plot out what you want to see and then figure out which roads suit you. Western Montana & NDAK are boring high desert. ENDlessly boring.
If you're heading to Baltimore the MacKenzie is not on your route and gas for a motorhome is too scary for me.

Between Boston & DC is nothing but suburbs, small rust belt cities and car lots. New England is pretty, the rest of the N. East coast is all city & strip malls.
When Cabellas opened their Hamburg PA store they said their intent was to become the biggest tourist attraction in PA. They succeeded so that should tell you enough about the sights. Ohio and Indiana are even worse from their turnpikes.
If it was me I'd fly.

edited to add:

Math isn't my strong suit but just using a scratch pad I get this;

If you get 10 miles to a gallon priced at $4.50/gallon US and drive 6,000 miles aren't you dropping $2700.00 on just gas?
Drive from western Canada to Baltimore-us109.jpg 

Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Thanks riponred and blucher for the tips.

And blucher, i am not going to be in a big hurry, so the engine should be okay in the mtns.
Its a V10, only moving a 31 footer.
And yes the gas bill will be about $6000 i figure, but all holidays for 4 are pricey, its cheaper than a cruise, or flying to europe and touring which i have done several of.
Motorhomes are just hard on gas, no way around it.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Are you going to be towing a car?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Motorhomes are just hard on gas, no way around it.
I doubt I could pump $6K in gas without wanting to shoot someone. <shudder>

If you get the chance I'd love to see that V10 engine.

The bad part of the Southern mountains around Chambersburg PA is they are two thirds up & down without even a third in lateral progress. It gets so bad you question whether you're driving in circles.

Kamloops looks like more attractive high desert than anything I saw in NDAK or W. Montana. A family of prairie dogs was the high point of about 1000 miles of uninterrupted blah.

That highway I outlined is 94.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Are you going to be towing a car?
No, we don't tow a car.
Just take the MoHo.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I doubt I could pump $6K in gas without wanting to shoot someone. <shudder>

If you get the chance I'd love to see that V10 engine.

The bad part of the Southern mountains around Chambersburg PA is they are two thirds up & down without even a third in lateral progress. It gets so bad you question whether you're driving in circles.

Kamloops looks like more attractive high desert than anything I saw in NDAK or W. Montana. A family of prairie dogs was the high point of about 1000 miles of uninterrupted blah.

That highway I outlined is 94.
The ford chassis its on usually use the V10.
Opening the hood does not show much, you can see the air intake, and the dipstick thats about it.
Next time the doghouse is off, i will try and remember to snap a pic.
They are a good motor, fairly basic, and thus reliable.

V10 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Good link, it cleared up where I heard V10 before, the Viper. You might want to have all the balance accommodations checked prior to your trip. It sounds like an expensive road repair.

Even VW developed a turbo diesel V10, I'm way out of touch on motor development. I did see a nice 1965 Cobra kit car. Might be a fun place for a V10 while the motorhomes not in use.

Quote:
The V10 is essentially the result of mating two even-firing straight-5 engines together. The straight-5 engine shows first and second order rocking motion. Here it should be assumed that the crankshaft with low second-order vibration is used and the first order is balanced by a balance shaft. By mating the straight-5 banks at 90 degrees and using five throws the balance shafts balance each other and become null. The firing sequence is odd (BMW M5, Dodge Viper). Using an 18? split journal crankshaft the firing order can be made even, and the two balanced shaft do not balance each other completely, but are combined into a single very small balance shaft (Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford 6.8 V10). Using a five-hrow crankshaft and 72? bank angle the firing order can be made even, and the two balanced shafts do not balance each other completely, but are combined into a single small balance shaft (Lexus LF-A). A 36? degree bank angle and a 108? flying arm crankshaft would allow even firing without a balance shaft and smaller counterweights, but would be impractical.
The V10 configuration is not an inherently balanced design like a straight-6, V-12, flat-6, straight-8, or a cross-plane V-8 (ignoring the counterweights) and does still have a small second order rocking motion, which can only be compensated by two additional balance shafts. `
Drive from western Canada to Baltimore-viper-v10.jpg 

Old 05-20-2011, 05:03 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
I have driven from Calgary to Boston a number of times and by different routes and I have also drive from here to New York a few times, there are so many places and things to see along the way it sometimes get mind boggling. What I did one trip was look in my road atlas for so weird named place along one of the interstate highways that was maybe 6 to 7 hours away and go there for the night. One I do remember was Kick-a-Poo State park, just thought the name was neat. The Black Hills in South Dakota are neat and the is some great camping there too.
You could check out the "Worlds largest truck stop" in Iowa along the I80. Just some suggestions.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Traveling
Bookmark this Page!