Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 AM  
...slightly sane.

Tucson, AZ
Rear driveshaft

Looks like I'm experiencing a cascading failure on my rear driveshaft. On the trip home from Sedona, right around Casa Grande I started to feel a vibration when ever the driveshaft was under torque (accelerating, maintaing speed and engine braking). If i shifted into neutral or got going slow enough while braking then the vibration would go away.

Turns out the u-joint on the differential side has developed a good 1/8 inch or so play.

I believe this is a cascade from when the rear trackbar bracket snapped and my axle swung around freely causing driveshaft contact with the river raider skids.

All so fun!

if you look closely at the u-joint, you can see the shiny newly exposed metal where the play happens:

i hadn't noticed this after the track bar was fixed, but the metal surrounding the bolt holes for the driveshaft are now ground down causing awkward shapes:

which seem likely to have caused uneven/abnormal spin forces and combined with the prolonged stretch of driving at 80mph that eventually the u-joint began to fail.

moral of the story, inspect, inspect, inspect when you get back from wheeling where you rubbed on rocks or broke parts.

tom woods is taking the driveshaft back to get it rebalanced and in working order again. until then, i'm jeepless.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM  

Rio Rico, AZ
Well doesn't that just suck!
Well at least you made it home before it failed and fell off somewhere...

Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM  

Tucson, AZ
That sucks, Why not look on JKO and see if anyone is trying to get rid of a rear stock DS for free. That could at least let you be mobile.

You are correct on the Inspect also. I saw a drop of oil under the jeep and investigated it. It seems the front DS smacked the trans pan and I think knocked the seal loose enough to cause a little seepage. Not much though. And this is with an after market DS already.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM  

tucson, az
When did your rear track bar snap? I must've missed that thread..
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM  
...slightly sane.

Tucson, AZ
back in mid-march with ruben and gang from soaz4x4.com.

was just cruising through the final parts of the easy back way to the rocks by chimney rock. took a really flexy line in the ruts to goof off, and when i came out the other side my axle was shifting left/right freely.

trackbar bracket was snapped clean right off the axle side mount.

clayton took care of it all, but it looks like my cheapskate -i don't want to pay a flatbed to come out redington road self- is now paying for that. the grinding on that driveshaft when i got it off yesterday was definitely uneven.

it was doomed to fail no matter what, the prolonged 80-85 on i17/10 on a trafficless easter sunday.... by casa grande i could feel it starting to vibrate, i stopped to check because i thought one of my tires might have a slow leak (from ajax rock rashes i added), but nothing, nothing loose that i could grab.

by the time i hit ina/craycroft it was bad, not death wobble but the console was creaking inside with the vibrations.

other moral of the story, don't be a cheapskate on a flatbed ride when a key component like a trackbar isn't on your rig...
Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM  

Tucson, Arizona
Well that sucks, hopefully they'll get if fixed for you soon.

If you have to go anywhere before its fixed I believe you can run in 4hi with just front wheel drive
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM  

that sucks,,, although I'm glad you made it though Sedona and back home... maybe an upgrade coming??
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM  

Tucson, AZ
everything is upgraded all ready. New rear DS, new rear track bar relocation bracket.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 PM  
...slightly sane.

Tucson, AZ
yeah, pretty beefy upgrades are failing. think i need to upgrade that pesky nut behind the steering wheel.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Now that is funny.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.