Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM  

Tombstone

Tombstone looks like a trinket town tourist trap, is it?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:47 AM  

Tucson, AZ
Tombstone is one of the coolest towns in AZ. Worth a check out.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM  

I belive it is a "must see" attraction. Make sure you visit the cemetery as well!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 AM  
...slightly sane.

Tucson, AZ
and if its been a while since you've watched them. watch movies wyatt earp and tombstone before the trip.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM  

^ This is a great recommendation! We also stayed at the newer hotel down the street (Holiday Inn, I believe) which allowed us to relax after the walking around, and the jump into the pool was pretty nice, since our trip was made in mid-summer.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Visit "Boot Hill" and they have a recreation of the famous "shoot-out" at the "OK" Corral.
Here's a quick look at Boot Hill
>>>>
Tombstone-linda-tombstone-graveyard-tombstone-texas.jpg 

Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 AM  

Rio Rico, AZ
You have to separate the tourist junk from the real history of the place. It is worth the visit! Do go see the birdcage. They have a great intro to the place, then you have to pay to get in and hear more. I was sceptical my first few visits, but then bit and paid up. It was really great to hear and see more of the history.. Have a cold one and a burgure at Big Nose Kates and just watch everyone, it's fun!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 AM  
Zoe-nuh-jeep

Suck Vista, Arizona
It's a giant tourist trap, that being said, take the mine tour behind six gun city, it was pretty cool.

Like others said, you have to dig in order to separate the real history from the traps.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM  

I agree, Giant Tourist trap. Wouldn't waste my time unless you got small kids who won't mind the gaudiness. For a real SE AZ treat try a local place like the Palace Saloon in Willcox. Thats were real old cowboys go, and there is a gunfight outside near the rails on Saturdays... for the kids.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircoffee View Post
I agree, Giant Tourist trap. Wouldn't waste my time unless you got small kids who won't mind the gaudiness. For a real SE AZ treat try a local place like the Palace Saloon in Willcox. Thats were real old cowboys go, and there is a gunfight outside near the rails on Saturdays... for the kids.
If you stop at Willcox, be sure to look for the bronze, lifesize, statue of moviestar cowboy, Rex Allen......his horse "Koko" is buried at the statue. Here's an audio of his famous voice....visit this link for some interesting facts about him.

(Rex Allen and Willcox
, Az
)

You may like this accompanying link that has many sites to check.....just scroll toward bottom and click any item you see.
http://www.desertusa.com/Cities/az/wilcox.html

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!