Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreed View Post
I have been considering going. Probably will attend the January meeting to check it out.
Same here, I haven't been to a meeting yet. Usually something comes up for me on the days those guys have meetings. Kind of sucks that you can't get access to their forums until you go to a meeting when they only have meetings once a month.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 PM  
saq

Tucson, Arizona
I'm a regular attendee of the Tucson Homebrew Club, brew all grain probably twice a month. Its a lot of fun but be warned the January meetings are pretty elections heavy and sometimes it takes a long time for the group to get moving (in general). But the people are great and they are always fun.
Swing by for a meeting and we can swap some beer.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:22 PM  

Tucson, AZ
In Sierra Vista also

I moved to SV about 4 years ago and went to a very FEW brew classes at BYOB, which is a VERY good place to buy your stuff. Just had to mention. However, I tried to get information about clubs and there just didn't seem to be any interest... at least what I saw on the message boards.

SV is a transient community built around military TDY and schools with the MI. Yes, there are permanent residents here, but I think the majority are not. However, I will probably stay here for a long time because I love the weather.

So, if we want to start a club and have meetings or brewing get-togethers, I am up for it. I usually brew on Saturdays. I have a converted keg I bought from AB in Tucson that didn't pass the last hydro test. I also have various pots and chillers but my main pieces of equipment is my fermenting freezer conversion and a chest freezer conversion to a kegerator/conditioner. I have 6 Corny kegs with one of those being a fermenting keg. I have a 8 gallon Hobby Brew Conical.

Reply back if anyone here wants to have a brew session or just to try a few. Right now I have just one on tap: Steam Clone. I had another that I had to dump due to stuck fermentation.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGunner View Post
Yeah the there are two local brew shops out here in tucson. Brewers connection and Brew your Own Brew. Both are good shops and have good products. Both have starter kits from 100-200 bucks. They're pretty much the same but the 200 bill kits usually come with a secondary fermenter which really isn't needed to make a good tasting beer. It just helps with clarity and adding fruit or other items later on in fermentation. They also usually come with your first set of bottles. If you wanted to save some cash I've collected quite a bit of bottles since I've been brewing and could just give you a set of bottles for your first batch. Also those kits are generally made to start you off doing extract kits. After doing extracts for awhile you'll most likely want to spend some extra cash to start doing all-grain.

All grain can be done cheaply. I just bought two kegs off of craigslist and cut the tops off to make brew kettles, and bought a coleman cooler that I converted into a mash tun.
This is the first time I have heard of Brewers Connection. I thought BYOB was the only game in town. I will have to check it out!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbrew View Post
Yep, been brewing on the Eastside for about 4 years. Started with a Mr. Beer and quickly moved up, I'm doing 10 gal all grain batches on a brew stand I had built.
What kind of stand did you build? What I mean is, "is it a gravity or pump fed"
Is it Propane/Gas or electric? Do you have pics and blueprint plans?

I wanted to build one but never can find a good welder that has all the parts I need. I have seen some awesome plans that would be pretty inexpensive if you know how to weld. Unfortunately, I don't know the positive from the negative of a welding kit.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman1957 View Post
I moved to SV about 4 years ago and went to a very FEW brew classes at BYOB, which is a VERY good place to buy your stuff. Just had to mention. However, I tried to get information about clubs and there just didn't seem to be any interest... at least what I saw on the message boards.

SV is a transient community built around military TDY and schools with the MI. Yes, there are permanent residents here, but I think the majority are not. However, I will probably stay here for a long time because I love the weather.

So, if we want to start a club and have meetings or brewing get-togethers, I am up for it. I usually brew on Saturdays. I have a converted keg I bought from AB in Tucson that didn't pass the last hydro test. I also have various pots and chillers but my main pieces of equipment is my fermenting freezer conversion and a chest freezer conversion to a kegerator/conditioner. I have 6 Corny kegs with one of those being a fermenting keg. I have a 8 gallon Hobby Brew Conical.

Reply back if anyone here wants to have a brew session or just to try a few. Right now I have just one on tap: Steam Clone. I had another that I had to dump due to stuck fermentation.
I know there are a few homebrewers in SV, my wife works at the hospital there and some of the other nurse's husbands brew. In fact I bought a wort chiller from one of them. You might want to pose this question on homebrewtalk.com as I do see some SV folks on there too.

I live in Vail (SE of Tucson) so a brew day would require a little driving, but that can be worked out. Never brewed with someone before - might be interesting.

Also, how did you find out about failed kegs from AB and what did it cost?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman1957 View Post
What kind of stand did you build? What I mean is, "is it a gravity or pump fed"
Is it Propane/Gas or electric? Do you have pics and blueprint plans?

I wanted to build one but never can find a good welder that has all the parts I need. I have seen some awesome plans that would be pretty inexpensive if you know how to weld. Unfortunately, I don't know the positive from the negative of a welding kit.
If you mention it on here you have to show the dern thing off!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:37 AM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreed View Post
I know there are a few homebrewers in SV, my wife works at the hospital there and some of the other nurse's husbands brew. In fact I bought a wort chiller from one of them. You might want to pose this question on homebrewtalk.com as I do see some SV folks on there too.

I live in Vail (SE of Tucson) so a brew day would require a little driving, but that can be worked out. Never brewed with someone before - might be interesting.

Also, how did you find out about failed kegs from AB and what did it cost?
I bought the keg in Utah (near South Salt Lake) from the distributor after a friend told me he saw some kegs go for sale. I bought it for $75 but that has been a few years ago. I suppose you could call the distributor in Tucson (Eagle) and ask if they have any failed kegs or even some for sale at a discount.

Mine looked like it had dropped of the truck and was damaged on the top but I didn't care, since I had a plasma cutter take it off for me.

I put a weld-less thermometer and a weld-less spigot. I actually like my shorter aluminum 45 Quart cooker better because it is easier to handle and heats up about twice as fast. The keg would be good for 10 gallon batches but I only have a 8 gallon conical so I would have to put the rest of the wort into a converted Fermenter/Corny Keg, which I have ONE of.

I am also on Homebrew talk but I haven't heard of any brew sessions going on. I will possibly ramp it up after the new year.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Yup... another Tucsonan here. Also got a start with Mr. Beer, and also now doing 10gal AG. Anyone go to Tucson Homebrewers meetings?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 PM  

Tucson, AZ
I'd like to go to the meetings but they hold them on Tuesday nights and I have school all night on Tuesdays. Maybe we should start our own non-formal club to just hang out, make some brews, and swap brews.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads