Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM  

Juneau, Alaska
Moab tips

Canyonlands RV is centrally located and has reasonably priced cabins when compared to hotel rooms. TV, double bunk beds, ac/heater. You've gotta deal with a shared shower/bathroom. Odds are good that you could hook up with other folks with similar interests while there too (jeeping/hiking/biking/etc).

Moab Brewery for a delicious dinner.

Sunset Grill for a more up-scale romantic dinner and gorgeous view at sunset.

Hit up Moab Diner for a reasonable and filling breakfast for sure.

If you're into jeeping, warm up on Fins n Things. Not too far from town, provides some minor challenges and gets you used to the terrain. If you're into the more extreme end of things follow it up with Hell's Revenge in the same area.

If you forgot any essentials like flip flops, pillows, etc hit up alco at the south end of town - basic discount store.

City Market has decent sandwiches to supply you with something to eat and some ice for your cooler.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 PM  

Denver, Colorado
Varnish hit the nail squarely on the head

If you need the creature comforts of home, the Red Stone Inn is right next door to Canyonlands RV. Good folks, locally owned, and a nice little hotel.

Moab Brewery has some darn good eats, but after a personal experience, I would recommend paying cash. I had a credit card skimmed there, and 1 person in the group I go down with at least once a year had the same thing happen a year later.

Moab Diner is also open relatively late for ice cream. Multiple flavors.

Fins n Things is the perfect introduction to slickrock wheeling. Hit up Hell's Revenge to get even more.

Alco...yuppers! My favorite department store. Small town "market" feel, and near wal-mart pricing.

City Market is the way to go for any grocery needs you have. In the morning, stick around on the south side to join in on trail rides if you don't know your way around. Find a lifted rig, and there's a good chance you'll have a trail leader.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM  

Kansas City, MO
There is also a little Chinese place there that I remember as being relatively good. Whenever I go out there, I normally just camp near the river. I take my showers at the gas station by the McDonald's, which I think is the same showers that the RV park uses (it was like 6$ of you aren't staying there). I always eat at the brwery. Good food.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 AM  
Paracord nut

Denver, Colorado
This is great information and thanks for taking the time to share this.

We are heading to Moab for the Thanksgiving weekend.

If anyone would like to join we encourage more folks to come. We have two rigs going as of now and would like to try and get some others to join us.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 PM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Speaking of great eats, Zax Restaurant is a great place to hang out with your friends and eat. Fiesta Mexicana, Eddie McStiffs, Pasta Jay's and the Pancake Haus were all excellent. I was even impressed by Denny's. My wife and I have spent two anniversaries there in Moab, and we are planning on next years to be there as well. (She has this years booked in SLC again this year).
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 PM  

Milton, FL
Can anyone recommend a good time in the spring for a visit (trail riding) when it's not too cold and before it gets hot?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM  

Mt. Zion, Illinois
I have been to Moab Brewery - interesting liquor laws - tried to order a flight of their brews - they can only bring you two at a time. Patrons can only have two drinks in front of them at a time. Try the Oatmeal Stout - its just not for breakfast anymore! Canyonlands and Arches are both very cool.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
[QUOTE=muskymaster;27982]I have been to Moab Brewery - interesting liquor laws - tried to order a flight of their brews - they can only bring you two at a time. Patrons can only have two drinks in front of them at a time.[QUOTE]

I had forgotten about this. It was at one of the all-you-can-eat pizza places (forgot the name) on the west side of the street that had a room designated for alcoholic drinks. You could not enter the family eating area with a drink, you had to leave it on the bar by the entrance.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM  

Central, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba46 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good time in the spring for a visit (trail riding) when it's not too cold and before it gets hot?
Utah weather is tricky to predict. Generally speaking April - Memorial Day weekend are pretty safe, but avoid the week of Easter unless you want to be in the middle of the yearly Jeep Safari. Sometimes you can get away with a late March or early June trip, but unless you're just a couple hours from Moab (like myself ) and can drop down for a spontaneous trip you just can't bank on it.

October and November are also great times to visit if you can swing it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM  

Juneau, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba46 View Post
I've been there 5 times the last week of april/first week of may. It has been anywhere from snowing on the rim above town and hail in town all the way to 90 degrees...and those were in the same week! I'd say it averaged over all those trips in the low 70s though and was pleasant most of the time. It hasn't made me change my usual visiting time.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Bookmark this Page!