Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM  

Sunset, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScooby View Post
So how is it for the Non-LDS folks who live in Utah? I'm trying to see if what I've heard is true or false.
I'll just say that it does make a difference in where you live. Find a neighborhood with people of similar outlook if you think you'll be annoyed by religious people. I know mormon's who grew up elsewhere and moved to Utah and have a difficult time adjusting to the culture. We moved into the heart of a mormon neighborhood and we are basically ignored.
We kill the neighbors with kindness by shoveling snow, helping with lawn work, sharing peaches, grapes, tomatoes and anything else we can do to be a part of the neighborhood yet we get nothing in return and feel like outsiders. Some of the younger couples make an effort to be friendly but by in large its mostly just an occasional wave and polite tolerance. The positive is that they seem to mind their own business and stay out of ours.
We've got a lot of friends here who enjoy their neighborhoods but they are all in non-LDS dominant locations.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM  

Bountiful, UT
I also telecommute (isn't it great). I've lived in a few cities and I currently reside in Bountiful it borders North Salt Lake and its very quiet and safe yet there is a lot of shopping options, great schools, and very close to Salt Lake. I wouldn't suggest anything further north (Ogden etc) I find this places very "churchy" which I don't have an issue with its just not my thing.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 PM  

Bountiful, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMistress View Post
I'll just say that it does make a difference in where you live. Find a neighborhood with people of similar outlook if you think you'll be annoyed by religious people. I know mormon's who grew up elsewhere and moved to Utah and have a difficult time adjusting to the culture. We moved into the heart of a mormon neighborhood and we are basically ignored.
We kill the neighbors with kindness by shoveling snow, helping with lawn work, sharing peaches, grapes, tomatoes and anything else we can do to be a part of the neighborhood yet we get nothing in return and feel like outsiders. Some of the younger couples make an effort to be friendly but by in large its mostly just an occasional wave and polite tolerance. The positive is that they seem to mind their own business and stay out of ours.
We've got a lot of friends here who enjoy their neighborhoods but they are all in non-LDS dominant locations.
I guess this depends on where you live. I am not into the church thing either (I'm also not from Utah and have only lived here a few years). When I lived in Ogden it was very much like that, not so much as a wave and we were clearly the outsiders. Here in Bountiful where I live both of my neighbors are LDS and several others around me are as well. That being said they are all AWESOME neighbors they invite us to crap they have going on (non-churchy) talk to us anytime we're outside etc.

Stay near Salt Lake and you'll be alright I think, anything to far south or north = no no.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM  
ntg

Bingham County, Idaho
Logan/Cache County is a good one IMO. Decent shopping, and not a long drive to a big city for shopping. I'd live there again.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 PM  

Salt Lake City, UT
tele commute

Convince your relatives to move so you can move with them.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM  

Newalla, Oklahoma
Gentlemen, I don't know whether sell guy, who originally requested this information, made use of it or not but I found these posts very interesting and well done. I am 72 years old and looking to retire in Northern Arizona, but most of what I have found is too expensive for me. If this holds true, I may look in Utah. I like in the country within a 15 to 30 minute drive to a small or medium sized town. At my age I don't want too much snow to shovel but don't mind the solitude if I get snowed in for awhile. From the posts, somewhere between St. George and Central sounds pretty good. Thank you all for the information.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 PM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Gentlemen, I don't know whether sell guy, who originally requested this information, made use of it or not but I found these posts very interesting and well done. I am 72 years old and looking to retire in Northern Arizona, but most of what I have found is too expensive for me. If this holds true, I may look in Utah. I like in the country within a 15 to 30 minute drive to a small or medium sized town. At my age I don't want too much snow to shovel but don't mind the solitude if I get snowed in for awhile. From the posts, somewhere between St. George and Central sounds pretty good. Thank you all for the information.
I was thinking that St. George, Hurricane or south central Utah would be the perfect place for you also. I live in Vernal. It has been known to be one of the coldest places here in Utah, but it is the best place for me to raise a family and to enjoy the outdoors. Vernal's economy did not falter as much as some of the other towns had. It doesn't matter where you decide to move to, you will always be just minutes away from the best places to explore and the greatest time of your life. Not all states can offer what Utah has. I have been to many of them, and I have found (for myself that is) that Utah has the best versatility of all of the U.S.A.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:52 PM  

St George, Utah
Agree on St George

My wife and I moved here this past summer (after I retired) and we LOVE it.

Weather is marvelous (sorta rainy right now - but that will pass), people are wonderful, and the town is small enough to get around but has most all the
big city" conveniences - even has an "In-n-Out" hamburger place!!!

Lynn
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 PM  

Richfield, Utah
I like Richfield personally... Not much as far as shopping and entertainment goes, About an hour and a half south of Provo though.. Lot's to explore as well. Mostly nice neighborhoods. It is dominated by Mormons, but for the most part they're very friendly and keep to themselves. I think I've only had to tell them that I wasn't interested 10 or 12 times.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM  

Logan, Utah
I have lived in most small towns from St. George in the south right up to Logan in the north. Since I have lived there I can honestly say the best small town atmosphere is anything in the Heber Valley. I lived in Midway and can say it was the best place in the state to live.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads