Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 PM  

Grantsville, Utah
My wife and I like visiting old ghost towns and mining sites with our Jeep. We take the motorhome out to the boonies then explore the area around where we camp.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 PM  

West Point, UT
I enjoy photography - Weller Photography

Have been looking at jeeps lately since my wife and I geocache. Any suggestions for a particular model that won't break the bank but has that jeep quality?

I also ride motorcycles (FJR1300) and really love the roads around here. Let's RIDEEEEEEEEEE!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatNakedGuy View Post
I enjoy photography - Weller Photography

Have been looking at jeeps lately since my wife and I geocache. Any suggestions for a particular model that won't break the bank but has that jeep quality?

I also ride motorcycles (FJR1300) and really love the roads around here. Let's RIDEEEEEEEEEE!
Of all the Jeeps, I feel that you would like either the '91 or newer Cherokee XJ, the '97'-06 TJ Wrangler, or the '07 up JK Wrangler. These vehicles have civilized manners and can still take on most any trail (short of hard or extreme) that you want to explore.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 PM  

West Point, UT
Thanks! I'll look at those models now. Anything I should watch out for on a used Jeep?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatNakedGuy View Post
Thanks! I'll look at those models now. Anything I should watch out for on a used Jeep?
The drive train on these models are nearly bullet proof from the factory, for their intended purposes that is. But some key things to look out for are;

High mileage. Although these things are capable of 200,000 miles easily, they can still suffer from wear and tear. Check for oil leaks from around the engine, transmission and transfer case. Some can be fixed rather easily. Check for leaks on the rear main seal on the 4.0L engines.

Look for signs of hard wheeling, scrapes on the under pans (skid plates), drive shafts, front and rear control arms. If the Jeep has been wheeled hard, these items will tell the tale.

On manual tranny equipped models, check for gear slop and clutch feel.

Check for excessive gear slop on the axles.

Check for evidence of water leaks around the windshield, especially on the Cherokees. Twisting and flexing from trail use can break loose the windshield seal. While you're at it, look at the rear quarter windows, the seals have been known to leak there as well.

Take a look at all of the suspension points. Look for cracks around the mounts. Look for excessive movement around the bushings. They can easily be found by seeing the polished metal where the bushings make contact with the mounts.

Check the steering components for slop. A loose front end is the last thing that you want on a Quad Link suspension. (See the following paragraph).

On all models, take the vehicle for a test drive on the highway, preferrably with out a lot of traffic. Some of these have been known for a front end problem called "Death Wobble", a condition that when the front end hits a bump or dip, it will cause the front to shimmy and shake uncontrollably.

There are other things to look for, but they apply towards all vehicles. If you have a personal mechanic, or a friend who is one, bring him/her along to help you out with the inspection process. Don't be afraid to ask the previous owner where he/she has driven. Their story will either match or conflict with the wear and tear of the vehicle.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM  

Orem, UT
I've owned two Landcruisers, but that was when I lived in SoCal. Bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee after moving to Utah, but that was just a pile of crap. Now I stick to riding our Harley around the the lake, and up into the canyons. And shooting, indoors and out.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM  

Salt Lake City, UT
Stick your neck out

Go do what you enjoy and meet people there and then swap numbers.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM  

Salt Lake City, Utah
Camping, fishing, hunting, 4-wheeling in the west desert, skiing. Basically anything outdoors.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 AM  

Roy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoeltne View Post
My wife and I like visiting old ghost towns and mining sites with our Jeep. We take the motorhome out to the boonies then explore the area around where we camp.

Thats really cool I'd love to do that with my metal detector. I've been talking to the wife about getting a flatbed and a motorhome so we can take the jeep and go do stuff but we had to spend all our money on new windows for the house. I guess it will be a while before the motorhome thing happens.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM  
Yeah I am awesomeness :/

Moab, Utah
Jeeping, 4 wheelin, camping, way to go!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads