Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM  

Fairfax, Virginia
Describe your worst VA traffic experience

If you haven't heard already, Northern VA has some of the nation's worst commuter traffic. As an example of how bad it can get, in late July there was an accident on I-66 near Centreville, VA. The spill-over traffic clogged Rt 28, Rt 29, Braddock road and Rt 50 (all alternate routes). My trip to school (George Mason U.) which typically takes 10 minutes, took 45 minutes. Needless to say I was late for class. I don't know about the rest of you but I found it very uncomfortable sitting in the YJ in the 95+ degree heat. 66 is notorious!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Worst Experience for me was on the Beltway (or shall I say Parking lot) around DC....

Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 PM  
Poison Idea

64 East is a nightmare in general. Been plenty of times I've ran right into a parking lot 10 minutes out of Richmond going to the beach and spent the next 4 hours crawling there.

Worst ever though was on 95 S coming back from Pittsburg as a kid. Some truck overturned with some sort of hazardous waste and they shut the highway down for hours. Though it did get me out of school the next day lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:24 PM  

Christiansburg, Virginia
My wife and I lived in Centreville for 3 years and hated it just about the entire time. The last year we were there, we left to head down the OBX and it ended up taking us 2.5 hours just to go the first 6 miles down 95. I never could develop the patience for traffic up that way.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM  

phoenix, az
My wife is from that area and trying to drive through tysons corner sucks. Im glad i wasnt driving a stick shift while passing through.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM  

near Tucson, Arizona
Winter of 93 or 94 - Tysons Corner to Herndon Commute - Started snowing, schools let out early, Government employees let out early..

3.5 hours to drive 21 miles... O M G
Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM  

phoenix, az
Yea tysons corner is no joke i would have to agree with you it took us 3 hrs to go 20 miles Needless to say I will never drive back there I will only fly.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM  

Locust Grove, VA
495 is the biggest mess ever! And they are always doing construction during rush hour traffic... idiots.

Basically the worst experience I have had would be sitting in the parking lot of 495 for 3 hours to go from I270 to Great Falls, VA (Old Dominion Road I think). IMO most of the traffic in DC is because they have not done a good enough job developing alternate routes to get from VA to DC... And most people don't want to learn alternate routes and take the one route they know which is 495/95...
Old 10-07-2010, 03:45 AM  

Richmond, Virginia
Like everyone else - anywhere in the Hampton Roads & DC areas.

Not to change the subject but where I live, in Prince George County, is almost half-way down a gravel lane that is a 1.5 mile long dead-end road. In addition, a private lane (y'all city folk would call it a driveway) to my house off the road is another .3 miles. The "neighborhood" is an old 250 acre farm subdivided into lots ranging from 5 to 35 acres (12 lots) and I am fortunate to have 16 acres of mostly wooded land along with a 4 acre pasture and a 3 acre clearing for my house. Needless to say, 2 dozen cars a day is a very busy day "out cheer."
Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Every day I have to get on 95 during idiot hour. I hate having to dodge people in GAINT SUVs, and idiots that thing because their stupid car has a green leaf on the plate they can drive any way they want becuase they are helping the enviroment.

in 1 hours on 95 in one day I almost got hit 10 times got flipped off 32 times, tailgated 107 times (at 80 mph) seen 4 women driving expidetions while talking on the phone holding a dog and drinking coffee or soda and had a guy spit tooth past out the window all over my car GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

You should be allowed to follow and when they get out of the car just beat the living snot right out of them.

OMG don't let it rain the sirens never stop for hours on end. Because too many people don't understand SLOW THE EFF DOWN when it is raining.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.