Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 AM  

Washington DC, Virginia
I have found it quite annoying, coming from FL I never had to have an inspection or pay taxes. Thankfully having an old jeep is not so expensive. What I really really don't like is that in Alexandria you have to pay a local registration fee and get an Alexandria sticker.

I was never told of this because it is separate from your registration with the state but apparently the ticket for not having it is around $120! I will be moving out of there pretty soon.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 AM  

Sterling, VA
[QUOTE=Kevin108;15713]Wait, I thought anything 25 years or older was exempt? Do you still have standard plates on it?

I think to be exempt you have to change the registration and plates to an antique vehicle. Then there are considerations as to when and how much you can drive and use it.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 AM  
minion

Williamsburg, Virginia
yes i still have standard plates on mine i drive it everyday so i pretty much have to
Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 AM  

Lillington, NC
I really enjoy how 1 Ton Trucks are considered Commercial so there is no tax relief even though it is my personal vehicle
Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 AM  

Bristow, VA
I can't complain... Being a resident of another state on active duty, I am exempt from this tax. However, even if I wasn't it is a lot less than I would pay in California where I am a resident. We recently changed our vehicle registration to VA because we would have paid over $400 to register a vehicle, we now pay about $50 in VA. Another $20 or so would still be a great savings to us!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM  

Yorktown, Virginia
Like any other tax, once it's in place, the politicians can't seem to find the courage to kill it. I especially like the federal death tax. You pay taxes on your 'estate' the entire time you build it, then the feds (and many times the states) take 40-50% of it away. Best way around it is to make sure the very last check you write bounces!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburkett6 View Post
Like any other tax, once it's in place, the politicians can't seem to find the courage to kill it. I especially like the federal death tax. You pay taxes on your 'estate' the entire time you build it, then the feds (and many times the states) take 40-50% of it away. Best way around it is to make sure the very last check you write bounces!!!!
Or transfer all your assets before you die. I know the death tax was removed with the Bush tax cuts, I haven't heard about whether it's coming back or not with Obama's new tax BS.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM  

Fairfax, Virginia
Yea man. I just paid takes on the YJ, Corolla and Suburban. It's a pain in the tail pipe. As for utilising the money to improve roads, I heard somewhere that VA is still considered a rural state and therefore doesn't get the same treatment as more metropolitan areas.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
At least the '88 Jeep is cheap....
Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 PM  

Washington DC, Washington DC
Argh, I should have bought a TJ. My JK was $670...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Bookmark this Page!