Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Where and what do you Hunt?

What are you hunting favorites? Do you use public private or both?

I love varmint hunting and I try to get out and ground hog hunt as much as I can. I only had time for 1 outing this year. I need to find more places to hunt them but many farmers would rather poison them than allow me to shoot them. I have been deer hunting (Well watching) for the last three years. I can feel it that this year will be my year to get at least 1 if not 2.

So lets here what you like to hunt and where you like to hunt.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM  

Harrisonburg, Virginia
highland county. bear, deer, turkey, bobcat, fox and coyote.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:59 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
What are you hunting favorites? Do you use public private or both?

I love varmint hunting and I try to get out and ground hog hunt as much as I can. I only had time for 1 outing this year. I need to find more places to hunt them but many farmers would rather poison them than allow me to shoot them. I have been deer hunting (Well watching) for the last three years. I can feel it that this year will be my year to get at least 1 if not 2.

So lets here what you like to hunt and where you like to hunt.
Grew up in West Virginia where, at that time, I hunted rabbits, squirrels, ground hogs and deer. Have hunted turkeys a few times along the way. Right now if I go deer hunting, I'm scared to death I'll see one.... But, fishing, I can still handle. The family still has property in WV where I can still hunt, if I'm ever up there during a season.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:42 PM  

waynesboro, virginia
I hunt deer and turkey in augusta county, when and where is it legal to shoot ground hogs? id love to knock some down.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM  

Virginia
I used to do a lot of deer hunting in nokesville and front royal.
Nokesville is overrun with deer, but it's all private property, so you have to know somebody with a farm. Also, it's in Prince William, so you're not supposed to hunt with rifles.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM  

front royal, virginia
I've hunted just about everything, on all types of land.

Mostly deer and squirrel. picked up a varmint rifle this past year to try and get into some groundhog hunting but haven't gotten the chance to.

was lucky enough to get a nice buck the first Monday of firearms season in Giles County
Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 AM  

Springfield, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarghble View Post
I used to do a lot of deer hunting in nokesville and front royal.
Nokesville is overrun with deer, but it's all private property, so you have to know somebody with a farm. Also, it's in Prince William, so you're not supposed to hunt with rifles.
Bow ? Pistol?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 AM  

Hunt

Private Farm in Loudoun. Anythgin with Hair or feathers that is in season.

It is a mix of Rock and passtures. Though ground hogs are mostly gone from us trying to keep them away from the cows.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM  

ground hogs

also want to ahve a littel fun and have soem old pistol ammo laying around.

dress in browner camo and take a paper towl or little bit of tissue paper and you rpistol out to were your ground hogs are.

they are near sighted flick that paper and move slow when they look at you. you can walk up with in 10 feet of them. I was told this by an old farmer he beleives they think your a deer I didnt beleive it till i tried it.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 PM  

Herndon, VA
Do you guys that hunt on private land do any kind of game control? Where I hunt in linden we have a rule, don't shoot a buck unless its a nice sized 10+ pointer, only take the large does, etc.

I see a lot of people posting pictures of a buck they harvested and its a little spike...why shoot it?

Just curious what other people do. In our area, we've noticed deer are certainly getting larger, we've got a very nice 12 point roaming around the property.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia
Bookmark this Page!