Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 PM  
Ceg

Selah, Washington
Report: EWA Memorial Day ORV Run at Ahtanum State Forest – May 27 2013

Memorial Day ORV Run at Ahtanum State Forest
Report by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

Ahtanum State Forest - Photo by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

At 10 AM on Monday May 27th, 2013 Eastern Washington Adventures members met up at the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead for the 2013 Memorial Day ORV Run. On this day we only had 4×4 rigs show up for the fun. dclack – Early Bronco, Guido – TJ, TJ40 – TJ, MudSlinger93 WJ and Ceg – JKU

We aired down and headed up the Middle Fork Ahtanum. We turned onto Whites Ridge Loop Road and then up the Whites Ridge 4×4 Trail. We hit snow close to Norm’s Check Point. The snow was perfect for wheeling on top of. We took a break at the view point and then headed on up toward Gray Rock Trail. The drifts were steep between the trees. MudSlinger93 was the first to get stuck and then I was next. We made close to the Mount Rainier View Point when we had to stop because the trail full of deep snow was too narrow to drive on with the tree holes. We headed back down.

At McLane Canyon Road we dropped down onto the Middle Fork and headed up to Tree Phones to see Ed AKA Mischief Maker that was camping the weekend. Ed & his girlfriend were in their tent trying to stay dry from the rain. We visited a short time and then headed up the Middle Fork.
We hit snow at Eagle Nest. This part got interesting. It was fun trying not get stuck in the deep ruts in the snow from some tall tires that had been there over the weekend. I stopped at Clover Flats Campground so we could regroup. MudSlinger93 got stuck in some of those deep ruts so I went back down to help him. Once we got MudSlinger93 out, he parked his rig and rode up the hill with me in my JKU. We met up with the group a quarter mile or so past Clover Flats Campground where they were turning around. We headed down the Middle Fork Ahtanum back to the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead.

We took a short break at the Ahtanum Winter Recreation Trailhead and then headed up to Red Saddle and onto the Sedge Ridge 4×4 Trail. We ran into the deep snow drifts not to far past the Duel Climb. We made it to just past the Cultus Hole Trail before we decided to turn around.
We headed back down out the South Fork Ahtanum and air up at Test Dummy’s house in Tampico.

This was a very fun snow wheeling run thanks to all who came along.

See full report with photos at: EWA Memorial Day ORV Run at Ahtanum State Forest – May 27 2013

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Bookmark this Page!