Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 PM  

Rochester, WA
Unemployment while schooling?

Get this, a couple weeks ago I got laid off, but I had already started school. They gave me a form to fill out because I was a student, and asked, if I was offered a job, but it conflicted with my school, which would I pick. I said I would pick school because any job is just that, a job, and that after school I would have a career. WRONG ANSWER!!! I got denied unemployment because I wasn't available to work at all. Although all the positions I've been applying for were in the evening and don't conflict. So for anyone who is similar, always say you want to work. I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I've never been unemployed before. Just something I thought I should share.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:07 AM  
Supporting Member

Yakima, Washington
Apply for a commissioner approved training program. I got laid off from my job while in school. I applied for CATP and then you can continue school and collect unemployment. You also do not have to do job searches or attend those stupid meetings at worksource.

Commissioner-Approved Training (CAT)

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 AM  

Rochester, WA
I tried that. Because im going for a bachelors degree. I wasnt aporoved. Plus i would have to first be approved for regular unemployment. Which i am, based on i wasnt released for misconduct. But on the basis that im a full time student. If i drop out i will be approved for it. Then i csn apply for cat and reenroll in school
Old 11-26-2010, 09:16 PM  

Rochester, WA
UPDATE. I told them I would quit school to get a job and was granted unemployment. Funny thing is that I was also told that I can deny a job due to the wages, since I'm allowed to stay within my pay range.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM  

Mill Creek, WA
Your tax dollars at work,... or NOT as the case may be,... My advice; get a job,... earn your keep,... school in the evening,... get your degree,... take it from there,... that's what I did.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 AM  

Rochester, WA
Well. If you know anywhere that pays at least $15 an hour let me know and I'll get that job and earn my keep. Not certain if you realize, but the only jobs out there are minimum wage and I'm not working there.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 AM  

Spokane, washington
I went through this same thing. i fight fire in the summer and thought I would work towards a degree in the winter when i am laid off, I even said If i got affered a job i would quit school. I still didnt get unemployment so i quit school. Its like they dont want people to better themselves.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
I also have a same story like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrashninja View Post
I tried that. Because im going for a bachelors degree. I wasnt aporoved. Plus i would have to first be approved for regular unemployment. Which i am, based on i wasnt released for misconduct. But on the basis that im a full time student. If i drop out i will be approved for it. Then i csn apply for cat and reenroll in school

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads