Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > West Virginia
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 AM  

Bluefield, WV
Muzzle loading season is almost here

The best time to see big deer this year.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 AM  

Huntington, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinwv View Post
The best time to see big deer this year.
I haven't seen a single deer this season!!!! Well except the ones I dodge with my jeep getting into the hills to go hunting LOL. This has been a very wierd hunting season. First part of the season it was t-shirt weather and now it's just too damn cold to be out doing anything.

But I agree, I love muzzle loading season. The woods are a lot calmer due to a lack of hunter interest and the deer are starting focus less on rut and more on winter feeding.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:30 PM  

Fairmont, WV
I haven't seen any official numbers yet, but I'm betting the buck kill was way down this season. Should mean there's still a good number of big bucks left for the ol' smokepole! It's gonna be a high of about 20 on Monday, though. Brrrrr.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM  

Bluefield, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver165 View Post
I haven't seen a single deer this season!!!!
I don't know about your area, but down here they have started to move since the first week of the season. I have been hearing reports that they are deep in the woods eating on the abundant mast from this fall.

I know on the spot I hunt that the biggest tree rub I saw wasn't made until several days into the season. There was also very little activity on the rut trails until the second week.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM  

Elkins, WV
I took my 4yr old huntin in my ground blind yesterday. I figured since he was with me we would shoot the first deer we saw. Well 5 came out onto the white oak flat where my blind is at and i shot the first one that gave me a good muzzeloader shot. turns out it was a yearling, which is what i look for when "meat hunting". Once the smoke cleared the little doe was layin right where it was standin when i shot. Me n the boy field dressed it and i drug it to the old railroad grade and we went and got the Jeep.

He was so excited!!! I dont think you can get your children started in the outdoors soon enough!!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM  

Bluefield, WV
Sounds like you had a great time with your son.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 PM  

Elkins, WV
It was a BLAST man! I highly advise takin a kid, ANY kid hunting or fishing and what better place to go than WV? Specifically the MNF. There are literally hundreds of thousands of acres in the National Forests of WV.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > West Virginia
Bookmark this Page!