Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Wisconsin
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM  

Marquette, MI
Are you guys fighting for the right to conceal carry?

Wisconsin and Illinois are 2 states that don't allow conceal carry. Living in the U.P. and having family in Wisconsin I visit quite frequently and it stinks I have to lock up my carry gun when I get to the border. I know there are groups that are pushing for CC, Wisconsin Open Carry for one. I hope that you guys will support their efforts and that soon you'll be able to carry.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM  

Cross Plains, WI
Hopefully very soon! The question isnt if we will have CC, but when. The biggest debate will be permit or constitutional carry. Hopefully constitutional carry. Cant wait till next year to start carrying!

Open carry is a joke since we have laws about entering vehicles etc. Plus the school zones make it near impossible to regularly OC.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 PM  

Menomonee Falls, WI
I really don't see the need for a CC law. I am sure I will spark a debate just by that statement but what the hell!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 PM  

Johnson Creek, Wisconsin
I don't care if there's a permit or special training, when it happens I'll be first in line. BrewNinja is correct, OC is just nonsense.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:14 PM  

Marquette, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMeisterJeff View Post
I really don't see the need for a CC law. I am sure I will spark a debate just by that statement but what the hell!
The world isn't getting any safer and it has been ruled that the police have no duty to protect any individual, only the community as a whole. Calling 911 will usually get the police to the scene in time to gather evidence and file a report.

I feel it is my duty to protect myself and my family. I don't take carrying a weapon lightly, it is a huge responsibility and ongoing training and proper situational awareness are key. I would have never thought someone would try to rob me at my home in broad daylight where I live but it did happen and the fact that I was armed stopped the crime. As it was it took the police over 30 minutes to arrive.

Read the facts about conceal carry and crime prevention here GUN CONTROL FACT-SHEET (2004) - Gun Owners Of America

Here's some highlights from the site.

Quote:
* Guns are used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year?or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.2

* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense with a firearm every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America"?a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.3

* Concealed carry laws have reduced murder and crime rates in the states that have enacted them. According to a comprehensive study which reviewed crime statistics in every county in the United States from 1977 to 1992, states which passed concealed carry laws reduced their rate of murder by 8.5%, rape by 5%, aggravated assault by 7% and robbery by 3%.4

* Gun-free England not such a utopia after all. According to the BBC News, handgun crime in the United Kingdom rose by 40% in the two years after it passed its draconian gun ban in 1997.18 And according to a United Nations study, British citizens are more likely to become a victim of crime than are people in the United States. The 2000 report shows that the crime rate in England is higher than the crime rates of 16 other industrialized nations, including the United States.19

* Vermont: one of the safest five states in the country. In Vermont, citizens can carry a firearm without getting permission . . . without paying a fee . . . or without going through any kind of government-imposed waiting period. And yet for ten years in a row, Vermont has remained one of the top-five, safest states in the union?having three times received the "Safest State Award."
Old 11-21-2010, 12:27 PM  

No UT has great CCW laws..
Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 PM  

Onalaska, Wi
I see n need for a cc law. It makes me feel safer without one
Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM  

green bay, wi
You wanna carry, put that bad boy out for all to see. no need to hide it away
Old 11-24-2010, 05:27 PM  

Marquette, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
I see n need for a cc law. It makes me feel safer without one
So you're ok with only the bad guys having guns then.

Here is a great read by a former USMC
Quote:

"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret) Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force.

Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it. In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats.

The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender. There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly. Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways.

Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.) So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 PM  

Marquette, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
You wanna carry, put that bad boy out for all to see. no need to hide it away
Tell that to the Madison 5. 5 guys legally open carrying at a Culvers in Madison and wrongfully arrested for disorderly conduct. WOC is now suing the city of Madison. It's one of many, many cases where WI residents have been hassled and even arrested for legal open carry.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Wisconsin
Bookmark this Page!