Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Wyoming
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM  

Laramie/Aurora, Wyoming/Colorado
I've camped in the Tetons, Yellowstone, The Snowies, and Vedauwoo. I really liked camping in these places and have heard lots of good things about the Big Horns, but havent got to go there yet. In the Tetons i went backpacking which was great, but I can't remember what trail i took, but it brought you to a couple nice clear mountain lakes. Dont know about the fishing but the hiking was good. I also really like vedauwoo, but that seems to have more rock climbing than hiking if thats something you like to do. I've hiked in the snowies a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it there. All of these places have great spots to goto so i'd recommend any of them.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 PM  

casper, wyoming
that's the great thing about wyoming... so many wilderness areas where you can camp and hike and fish... any direction you travel you are bound to find something... head over to douglas and south to esterbrook and on to laramie peak... or go out to hat six road and head back to deer creek... north to the bighorns west to the wind river range outside lander... or take south pass to the other side of the range and the big sandy rec area... or north of there to pinedale... or yellowstone, grand teton, flaming gorge, evanston, baggs/saratoga, devils tower/hulette area... i could go on... there's no end to the different ecosystems available... from wandering across the plains and stumbling across a spring fed creek, to hiking mountains with no city for nearly 100 miles... it's up to you and where your vehicle can take you...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM  

Cheyenne, Wyoming
The big horns really are beautiful, but you'll have a somewhat difficult time finding a camping area that's not overrun with four-wheelers during the summer. If you're the adventurous type, you can head into the Cloud Peak Wilderness area, but you'll have to either go on horseback or on your own two feet. Great camping, no facilities.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 PM  

Boise, Idaho
I used to live in Sheridan and I very much miss the Big Horns. You can't beat the hiking. I spent nearly all of my summers exploring and never went to the same area twice. I highly recommend the area near Spear Lake and Loomis Lake.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM  
Will Travel By Jeep

Indianapolis, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiandgolf View Post
Snowy Range. Lots of camping, lots of lakes.
Snowy Range is one of my favorite places to camp (or Medicine Bow) is one of my favorite places to camp. I took this picture near Encampment. It always make me want to go explore to see what is down there?!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
First picture on this thread!!
Makes me want to visit the place.
Kudos's to you.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM  

SE WI
I have stayed at campgrounds in the Casper/Bar Nunn area while hunting but can't get enough of Yellowstone NP. I like staying at the Norris campground on the west central part of the park. Just inside from West Yellowstone.
Lots to do and see there. We had elk walk through our campsite one evening, the kids really loved it too.
You will meet some great people in WY when you go!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 PM  
Will Travel By Jeep

Indianapolis, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
First picture on this thread!!
Makes me want to visit the place.
Kudos's to you.
When I was about 15, I was driving my granddad's pickup down this trail. It was Spring and very muddy through some Aspens (as the saying went, "Pick your rut carefully as you'll be in it for the next mile"). My dad warned me not to get a four-wheel drive truck stuck as we were on our own, so I turned around and for years I always wondered what was down this trail? So a few years ago I found out on a return trip. I love up above Encampment along Highway 70 as there is hardly anyone up there whenever I go. It's a peaceful place to camp.

One more picture...

Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM  
Photographer

Atlanta, Georgia
Wow, great discussion, makes me really want to go to Wy for a photo excursion this spring once theweather clears and i get some travel time. Nice shot too - wanna go down that trail ....
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
That is a nice looking little dirt trail in those pictures.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Wyoming
Bookmark this Page!