The Kent Plantation House is one of the oldest standing structures in central Louisiana and is also a listed member of the National Register of Historic Places. The plantation house is also a tourist attraction focusing on showing visitors what life in the Louisiana plantation was like between 1795 and 1855.
The Kent Plantation House is an authentic Creole home which was built around 1796 right before the historical Louisiana Purchase. The historical landmark was built by French immigrant Pierre Baillio III with the help of a land grant from King Charles of Spain and was completed in 1800.
The house itself has different areas of interest which have been added into the daily guided tours. The guided tours will lead visitors into various places around the house including the Master?s Bedroom, the Artifact Room, Dining Room, Girl?s Bedroom, Boy?s Bedroom, Library and the guest room or the Strangers room.
Tours in the Kent Plantation House is not limited to just the home?s interiors as there are other parts of the plantation that can be explored including the Blacksmith shop which was built in 1815, the milkhouse which was built in between 1820 and 1830, and was traditionally used to store dairy products such as butter, cheese and milk.
Guests can also see the cemetery where tombstones are erected for the loved ones as well as the carriage house, the barn, sugar mill, the open hearth kitchen and the eden building. One of the famous attractions for the Kent Plantation House is the Slave Cabin which shows the sad living and working conditions of the slaves that were sold to the plantation during the Slavery era.
The Kent Plantation House is open from 9AM to 5PM from Monday through Saturday with guided tours happening every hour starting at 9AM all the way to 3PM.