Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Douglass House Rating: None

Michigan Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Houghton Email This Bookmark Print
The Douglass House is an 1860 Italian Renaissance grand hotel with fifty rooms available for use to visitors. It also had a dance hall and dining room that has served as Houghton?s social center.

However, in 1899, it was purchased by the Douglass House Company and expanded to 100 rooms from the initial 50 by adding another structure on the site with the help of Chicago experts Henry Ottenheimer and Paul Mueller. The original building burned down in 1901, so the company built a replacement. By 1984, the Douglass House was converted to apartments, which is its current function until today. A bar is also available on the first floor of the building, facing the street.

The Douglass House was nominated and became a part of the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Edit Article

Douglass House Pictures Add Picture

Douglass House Videos Add Video