Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Houghton County Courthouse Rating: None

Michigan Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Houghton Email This Bookmark Print
The Houghton County Courthouse is a result of the original Houghton County being divided into two. The other half became the Keweenaw County, while the southern areas remained as the existing county. The then village of Houghton was designated as the county seat, so a need to establish a government building became an immediate necessity.

By 1887, the Houghton County Courthouse has been dedicated. There used to be a jail included in the site, but the building got condemned in the 1960s due to the lack of upkeep and maintenance. The whole building was then restored in the 1970s and in 2003.

Today, the Houghton County Courthouse is still a public office building. Thanks to its Second Empire architecture, it also managed to land a spot in the National Register of Historic Places and become a Michigan State Historic Site.
Edit Article



Houghton County Courthouse Pictures Add Picture



Houghton County Courthouse Videos Add Video