Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Kelsey Museum of Archaeology Rating: None

Michigan Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Ann Arbor Email This Bookmark Print
The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology first began a private collection of University of Michigan Latin professor Francis Kelsey. The artifacts were collected from the late 19th century until the 1920?s. By 1928, his collection was displayed in a separate building on the university campus. It was only in 1953, however, that the turreted stone structure was officially known as the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology. The structure initially served as the main office and resident of the school?s Students Christian Association. Today, it possesses one of only two original Tiffany windows in the city, and which may be seen in the museum?s library.

In 2009, the museum welcomed the new addition of the William E. Upjohn Exhibit Wing, which is where the museum?s private and permanent exhibits are on display. This includes ?magical? amulets unearthed from ancient sites in the Near East, Roman sculptures and Greek pottery, an impressive range of antique glass vessels, and a lavishly designed Egyptian mummy coffin. Also worth checking out is a enormous watercolor replica of Pompeii?s Villa of the Mysteries murals, which remain unfortunately buried with the rest of the city under Mt. Vesuvius? ashes.
Edit Article

Kelsey Museum of Archaeology Pictures Add Picture

Kelsey Museum of Archaeology Videos Add Video