Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

McGulpin House Rating: None

Michigan Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Mackinac Island Email This Bookmark Print
A historic house museum located in Mackinac Island State Park as a part of the Historic Downtown Mackinac Island, the McGulpin House is an 18th century structure that has tons of stories to tell. Its original parts show traces dating back to the mid 1700s, even before the wave of settlers came to the island in 1780.

Like the other buildings in Mackinac Island, the McGulpin House?s origins are unknown. It has French Canadian style architecture and has some evidence of being a part of the migration to the island around 1763 to 1780 during the boom of the fur trade and after Lt. Governor Patrick Sinclair?s order that civilians and traders move to a fortified village in the south end of the island.

The McGulpins acquired the house in 1819. They baked bread and hardtack using local grain for the American Fur Company in Market Street. The home was moved from its original location to the Mackinac Island State Park premises in 1981.
Edit Article



McGulpin House Pictures Add Picture



McGulpin House Videos Add Video