Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Mission House Rating: None

Michigan Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Mackinac Island Email This Bookmark Print
Built in 1825 by the former US Senator Thomas W. Ferry?s parents, William and Amanda Ferry, the Mission House was originally manifestation of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions? effort to get the Native Americans convert to Christianity. It was basically a school complex and boardinghouse for students of mixed races. They were taught basic liberal arts and manual crafts and trained in the living patterns that were of the New England standards.

Financing the Mission House has been difficult, so by 1837, as soon as the Michigan Territory was declared as a state of the US, the complex was abandoned. By 1849, it was then transformed into a hotel for steamboat passengers who stop at Mackinac Island to switch boats. It ran as an inn until 1939. After that, it served for various purposes, one of the most notable is as a base of the Moral Re-Arnament movement.

Today, the Mission House is operated as the Mission Point Resort. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Edit Article

Mission House Pictures Add Picture

Mission House Videos Add Video