Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Fort Keogh Rating: None

Montana Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Miles Email This Bookmark Print
Fort Keogh is a former military fort in Miles City, Montana. It was built in 1876 as a means to control the Indians in the region, and get them to the reservations. The fort was led by General Nelson Miles, who became a huge part of the community that the city was named in his honor.

Fort Keogh was named after an adjutant of General Custer, Myles Keogh. An Irish native who came from a comfortable background and went looking for action, Keogh was a well-experienced soldier. He fought for the Pope in Italy in defense of the Papal States, and then moved to the US for more battles. A great soldier who proved his skills over and over in the battlefield, he was killed in the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

Today, Fort Keogh is used by the US Department of Agriculture as a livestock and range research station.
Edit Article

Fort Keogh Pictures Add Picture

Fort Keogh Videos Add Video