The Cranbury Museum dates back to 1834. It underwent several additions, and volunteers in the early 1970s developed the house into the current museum. The collection includes early artifacts, historic local quilts from the township and its folks and rotating special exhibits. The Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society operates the facility.
According to the Middlesex County records, the original two-room houseBased on the records of the Middlesex County, the original two-room house was said to be built by Dr. Garret P. Voorhees in 1834. Between 1850 and 1862, the Isaac Snedeker family added more rooms including the second floor master bedroom, the parlor and the Amy Evans Memorial Sewing Room.
Gertrude Snedeker and her husband, Dominicus C. Mershon inherited the house while their daughter, Cornelia, lived in the property until her death in 1913. The property was rented until Helen and Paul Azadian purchased it in 1923. While staying in Cranbury, the Azadians used their theatrical name LaVarre.
From May until October of 1972, seventy volunteers worked to convert the house into a museum. During renovation, several features of the house was retained including its rough plaster walls, wide pine flooring, the original window with wavy glass panes, the cooking fireplace with crane and the old blue paint of the original two-room house. The museum is mostly furnished by donations and gifts from Cranbury families, many of them descendants of Cranbury's earliest families.
Housed in the Cranbury Museum are a collection of printed and visual materials as well as photographs and letters all relevant to Cranbury - its people, homes, and history.
The Cranbury History Center houses the collection of societies of all oral, visual and written records of Cranbury's history open for public viewing, research and use. The center also provides storage for various memorabilia, artifacts and textile collections of the society.