Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

The Hermitage Rating: None

New Jersey Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Ho-Ho-Kus Email This Bookmark Print
The Hermitage is situated on 5 acres of lawn adorned with centuries-old trees. Boasting of Gothic Revival Architecture, the 14-room stone house believed to be originally built in 1760 was renovated in 1847-1848 for Elijah Rosencrantz, Jr., using the designs of William H. Rantlett. It also used to be the headquarters of General George Washington for the Revolutionary War.

The Hermitage?s last owner, May Elizabeth Rosencrants passed it on to the State of New Jersey in 1970. In 1972, the non-profit corporation, The Friends of the Hermitage, was founded to pursue the restoration and maintenance of this National Historic Landmark.

The house is also popular for having been visited by famous historical figures such as James Monroe, William Paterson, Alexander Hamilton, Lord Stirling, and the Marquis de Lafayette. In 1782, the Hermitage also served as the venue for marriage of Theodosia Prevost and Aaron Burr.

Today, as the house still contains some of the original items from the 1890?s, it serves as a museum where the public is given an opportunity to know further about its historical background.
Edit Article



The Hermitage Pictures Add Picture



The Hermitage Videos Add Video
Videos Not Found

The Hermitage Threads
The Hermitage
Anyone have any vintage photos of your town?
Greenways
Florida Governor?s Mansion
Long Hunter State Park
Katahdin Iron Works




City: Ho-Ho-Kus
County: Bergen
Address: 335 N Franklin Turnpike
Zip: 07423
Phone Number: (201) 445-8311
Category: Historical Landmark
Website: The Hermitage
Edit Details


Login or Register to Add Review