Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Applegate River Covered Bridge Rating: None

Oregon Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Ruch Email This Bookmark Print
The Applegate River Covered Bridge is relatively well known for the numerous measures exerted to save it. It was built in 1917 and was used by the mining and logging businesses around the area until 1956. After that, it was closed to vehicular traffic but was kept open for pedestrians.

However, being a wooden structure, it has become prone to rotting, especially since there little upkeep only followed when it was only used for pedestrian traffic. The county then decided that future maintenance would be too impractical, so private citizens needed to step in. In 1989, measures to raise funds were taken, including selling some memorabilia and producing a historic quilt with a bridge motif.

Today, the Applegate River Covered Bridge is not open for any kind of traffic anymore. However, it can still be enjoyed as a scenic landmark in the McKee Picnic Ground.
Edit Article



Applegate River Covered Bridge Pictures Add Picture



Applegate River Covered Bridge Videos Add Video