Located in the historic old west town of Tombstone, Arizona, the Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park is a state historic preservation containing the original two-story Cochise County courthouse.
Built in 1882, the cross shaped building housed all of the new county?s offices. Cochise county itself was created when the settlers of the mining boom town of Tombstone voted to separate from Pima County, a 70 mile journey away. Aside from the county court, the courthouse contained other important county offices including those for the county sheriff, recorder, treasurer, board of supervisors, and its jail in the basement beneath the courthouse. The town gallows also stood outside the building and seven were hanged there for their crimes.
Today, the building is a museum which features artifacts from Tombstone?s history.
|Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park Pictures
| Add Picture
|Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park Videos
| Add Video