Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Ouray County Museum Rating: None

Colorado Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Ouray Email This Bookmark Print
The Ouray County Museum occupies the original St. Joseph's Miners' Hospital, which was built in 1886 and completed in 1887. Originally, it was operated by the Sisters of Mercy, who came to Ouray from Durango, Colorado and Omaha, Nebraska before serving its purpose as a hospital until 1964.

The Ouray Historical Society began using the building for exhibitions in 1971. About 5 years after, the Society purchased it as a museum. Today, the Museum features three floors that contain 8 exhibits throughout 27 rooms. There are also smaller displays along hall cases, alcoves and the original hospital dumb waiters.

The Museum?s collection are shared to the public through these displays and exhibits that feature the town?s industries and trade like mining, ranching and railroading. During the early days, these are the 3 main means of employment of the town.

The Museum also houses artifacts that will connect the public to the earliest days of Ouray starting from 1875. M minerals and Indian artifacts displays can also be seen in the building. For people who want to research and study written information, they can visit the Research Center, also within the Museum.
Edit Article

Ouray County Museum Pictures Add Picture

Ouray County Museum Videos Add Video